Selenium & Barium in Triton Test Results

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've received my first Triton Labs test and I have two elements of concern. The first is Selenium with a set point of 0.1 and my analysis at 43.0. The second is Barium with a set point of 10.0 and my analysis of 221.0. The Barium result really blew me away. How concerned should I be with these two results?
My initial thought of "contamination" of these two elements would be that I started trying Oyster Feast. It seems from google searches that oysters can be high in selenium, and being filter feeders can contain whatever contaminates that are concentrated in the water they are sourced from. So it would seem that eliminating Oyster Feast would be my first logical step in reducing these elements in my system. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new one for us. Never heard of our Oyster-Feast resulting in an increase in Selenium and Barium. I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Chad

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that it is not the Oyster Feast. My corals seem to have been enjoying it :). I need to start a process of elimination so that's why this newbie is asking for some help. I started my reef tank about a year and a half ago so I am still learning. I still would like to know if anyone knows how concerned I should be with the high Selenium and Barium test results. Some corals have good color and decent PE and some have poor/pale color and reduced PE. I know many factors can cause poor color and poor PE. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either one of these two elements at elevated levels, and if they found the cause. I changed the brand of salt I was using to Brightwell Aqutics Neomarine about four weeks (four water changes) before sending in my first water sample. My corals seem to have responded well to the new salt mix. I find it hard to believe that four 5% water changes would elevate the Selenium and Barium levels that high so quickly. I normally do a 10% weekly water change but I am taking it slow do to the change in salt brands.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barium doesn't concern me at those levels.

Not sure on selenium, but unless the tank is suffering, I wouldn't worry about it. It can be present in multiple forms so concentration is not the only thing one would need to know to understand if it is an issue or not.

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barium doesn't concern me at those levels.

Not sure on selenium, but unless the tank is suffering, I wouldn't worry about it. It can be present in multiple forms so concentration is not the only thing one would need to know to understand if it is an issue or not.

Thank you!

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I have found the source of my high Selenium readings. I sent a sample of NeoMarine mix to Triton Labs. The selenium was 204. Cadmium, Arsenic, Lithium and Manganese was high as well. I have attached a pdf of the Triton results. My apologizes to Reef Nutrition!

Attachments

• NeoMarine Triton.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always let my salt mix for 24 hours before using. I took the water sample for the Triton test after it mixed for 24 hours.
I use a BRS 6 stage RODI system with a pump assist to bring my pressure up to 80 psi. I run approximately 30 gallons of finished water a week. I change the sediment and carbon filters every 4-5 months if they need it or not (currently 1 month old, both RO membranes were changed last June) and I never let the DI resin turn completely brown in the first canister before rotating the second canister in place of the first and refilling with fresh resin. I also stay on top of my TDS readings with a HM Digital COM-100 Combo Meter because I don't trust the TDS meter that comes mounted on the RODI unit. On February 8th my tap water was 362 ppm, coming out of carbon/RO filters was 2.1 ppm, coming out of DI as finished water was 0.4 ppm. I'm still trying to figure out the Barium source. I run a Zeovit system. Could the zeolites leach any of these elements into the system? I am switching to Tropic Marin Pro salt starting this week.

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard barium may come from a European brand of GFO, but I cannot verify that.
I do not run GFO because of the Zeovit system. My PO4 stays around 0.03. I do however use some of the Zeovit additives, and one of the knocks on Zeovit is that they will not disclose what is in them. I was considering with my next Triton sample to put one drop of an additive that I suspect my be contributing to my issue (B-Balance) into each of the two sample vials. Wouldn't that give an exaggerated reading of any element that is in the additive? What are your thoughts on this plan?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run GFO because of the Zeovit system. My PO4 stays around 0.03. I do however use some of the Zeovit additives, and one of the knocks on Zeovit is that they will not disclose what is in them. I was considering with my next Triton sample to put one drop of an additive that I suspect my be contributing to my issue (B-Balance) into each of the two sample vials. Wouldn't that give an exaggerated reading of any element that is in the additive? What are your thoughts on this plan?

It would certainly help see what is in them, yes.

Robbiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use b balance and when I stopped boron and bromine dropped

What values? Were they elevated and dropped to normal, or were normal and dropped lower?

Robbiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy they where nearly normal and dropped lower
I dose Triton Br and B instead of B balance when needed

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy they where nearly normal and dropped lower
I dose Triton Br and B instead of B balance when needed

OK, thanks. Bromide always ran high in my tank without dosing, and boron was about normal without dosing. :)

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would certainly help see what is in them, yes.

Randy,
I plan on taking two test samples from my tank tomorrow and mail them on Thursday. I will put B-Balance in one of the samples to compare to the regular sample. Do you have a recommendation for how much B-Balance to put in each vial? I don't know if it is possible to put too much in. I was thinking 0.1 ml or 0.2 ml per vial.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I plan on taking two test samples from my tank tomorrow and mail them on Thursday. I will put B-Balance in one of the samples to compare to the regular sample. Do you have a recommendation for how much B-Balance to put in each vial? I don't know if it is possible to put too much in. I was thinking 0.1 ml or 0.2 ml per vial.

If you put in 10x the normal dose per tank volume, you should be able to see what's being boosted in normal use. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back