ShaLin's Jellyfish Art Nano Tank Journey

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by "popular" demand I am sitting down to document my journey parenting my 3 Moon Jellies: Boris, Ouchy, and Deadpool.
fullsizeoutput_1002.jpeg Boris fullsizeoutput_1003.jpeg Deadpool (Bottom Right) fullsizeoutput_1004.jpeg Ouchy

I have always been fascinated by jellyfish...except for when I have been stung by them in the Florida waterways kneeboarding and on the beach. They are absolutely amazing creatures and just mesmerizing to watch. They are hands down my favorite thing in the world to photograph.

When I saw that Jellyfish Art was having a Kickstarter Campaign last year for their new Nano tank, I knew exactly what I wanted Santa to bring me. That was until FedEx didn't live up to their end of the bargain. My tank was shipped to me and FedEx said it had been delivered on my front porch 2 days after we found it was shipped and "supposedly" delivered. We contacted Jellyfish Art and FedEx and of course with it being the week of Christmas we didn't hear back from FedEx for a few weeks (my wife repeatedly contacted them...we for sure thought it was stolen). It wasn't until late June of this year that FedEx said they delivered something (while I was home) and it was nowhere to be found. The nice lady at FedEx explained how it worked and it peaked my interest so I brought up my "missing" Jellyfish tank. She gave me the direct contact info to Jellyfish Art to contact them to initiate a claim. I called them and spoke to someone with authority and they shipped me a brand new tank that day.

My tank arrived within the week via FedEx (at this point I created a FedEx account and linked the app to my deliveries) and had it delivered to the distribution center (a half mile away from my house). I set up the tank and used saltwater from my LFS. I added the starter bacteria they included with the tank began the cycle per their instructions of 3 days prior to ordering my 3 Jellies for delivery. They have since revised this after realizing a lot of people were having issues with their jellies due to high ammonia (causes the Jellies to develop holes in their bell and disintegrate). This is what exactly happened to Deadpool (named Stingy at the time...my nephew had named all 3 at this point). I did an emergency drastic water change (75%) and some of the provided starter bacteria, Dr. Tim's One and Only, and Seachem Prime. They all healed from the high ammonia and the tank cycled pretty quick after that. They have since revised the manual and recommend waiting 2 weeks or longer after setting up the tank and adding the starter bacteria before redeeming your jellies.

FTS Blue FTS Red FTS Purple
fullsizeoutput_1006.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1000.jpeg fullsizeoutput_fff.jpeg

The tank uses a black sponge filter in the back "sump" as the bio-media with a notch cutout for a Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packet (changed monthly). I modified the filter after about 2 months by cutting out 2 slots and placing media bags filled with SeaChem's de*nitrate. This was to serve the purpose of a more natural and highly porous haven for the nitrifying bacteria. Two weeks ago I cut out a piece of filter floss to the shape of the sump and placed above the sponge and Chemi-Pure Blue packet to filter out some of the food and detritus that I re-suspend with the baster or naturally sucked in through the "return suction slits" travel to the top of the top via the "bubble channel".

The cover of the tank has a cool jellyfish cutout (the Jellyfish Art logo) that projects the image onto the ceiling in whatever color your RGB LED light is set to (comes with a remote to control color, intensity, and transition effects). It acts as a pretty cool nightlight for the room. For me, however, the massive shedding effect of my American Dingo is not conducive to my Jellies Tentacles and Oral Arms not becoming tangled. I took a cutout of black panty hose (the tank is black acrylic) and hot glued it on the bottom to prevent hair from getting in the tank.

The only other close call I have had is Deadpool got stuck on the "return suction slits" and when I tried to free him with my baster I pulled too quickly and he lost his 4 oral arms. Within a week his 4 arms grew back, hence the name change from Stingy to Deadpool (if you are not a comic book geek or haven't seen the movie and don't get it...just ask and I'll explain).

There is a Facebook group, Jelly Care Club, (almost 2000 members now) created by the JFA's Director of Education (they donate tanks and jellies to schools for teachers to use as a teaching aid). A lot of smart people in their with a lot of experience with Jellies (just like our R2R community
0clip_image002.png
some people have placed a fine mesh screen over the slits to prevent this. I haven't found it necessary...if you have the airflow dialed in then it is not an issue except after water changes when they are stressed and in a weakened state.

A couple of weeks ago I seeded the tank with a capful of Doc's Eco-Matter (live pods) and since about the first week I have added Doc's Eco-Bytes (live phyto) on a daily basis. A lot of "Jelliers" hatch live brine and seed the tank with this (I haven't seen a need for this and your have to remove the Nauplius Artemia need to be removed after a few days because the jellies have a hard time at their small size digesting the shell. Plus their natural habitat food is Pods and Rotifers. They do ship with the jellies a 3-month supply of their freeze-dried plankton/pod blend. This is what I feed twice a day along with the live zooplankton population

I have a small cleanup crew...2 Nassarius and 1 Trochus snails. No issues there at all and they take care of business (the Nassarius don't mind not having a sand bed).

It's different than a Reef or FOWLR tank but similar at the same time.

It's a fun little tank (they do have a 6 gallon desktop tank as well) and a conversation piece. You will find yourself just sitting their watching the jellies pulse and float around for hours on end.

Feel free to ask question and/or comment. Thanks and have a happy reef.
Peanut Butter Jellyfish Time
fullsizeoutput_ffb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ffc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ffd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ffe.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1001.jpeg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's pretty awesome. How many gallons is the tank? It looks teeny tiny!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I've never seen this type of jelly tank. I typically see the round ones, never seen a cylinder version.

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what pretty much sold me on it. I really like the cylinder look for it and the sleekness of the black acrylic.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool and thanks for sharing!

PupChow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered how well the new cylinder tank works compared to the old tank. Thanks for the review! Do you find the jellies to be pretty sensitive, or would you say they are pretty hardy and can tolerate a bit of a chemical / temp swing?

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered how well the new cylinder tank works compared to the old tank. Thanks for the review! Do you find the jellies to be pretty sensitive, or would you say they are pretty hardy and can tolerate a bit of a chemical / temp swing?
I never had the other styles of tanks, but from my understanding and involvement in the Facebook group I mentioned it does seem to use more similar methods of bio-media us reefers are use to.
As for hardiness I have found them pretty hardy and resilient, hence how Deadpool (one of my Jellies) got his name. They are fairly sensitive to Ammonia and I learned this very early on. You really need to make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding them. Very high levels >80ppm of NO3 will start to affect them possibly. Never saw an issue with high PO4. Salinity and pH being out of their range will affect them as well, mainly appearance and health for pH and where they hang out in the tank/pulsing for salinity. They recommend testing salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Great support group on the Facebook.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Have you noticed any problems with algae growth in the tank or on the acrylic? One of the main complaints I heard about some of the other jelly tanks was that after about 6mos or so, algae starts to grow and it becomes a pain to keep the tank clean.

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Have you noticed any problems with algae growth in the tank or on the acrylic? One of the main complaints I heard about some of the other jelly tanks was that after about 6mos or so, algae starts to grow and it becomes a pain to keep the tank clean.
The good thing about the cylinder tank is it is very easy to clean. I started to get some heavy growth about a month ago, but I think it was due mainly to me leaving the light on too much and my chemi pure pack being exhausted. I've replaced my chemi pure and been adding Waste-Away and I've seen minimal growth along with my light being off more often.

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my NO3 and PO4 today.
PO4: 0 PPM
NO3: <5 PPM (not bright yellow yet for 0)

Did a 50% water change afterwards.
Added DrTims Aquatics Eco-Balance Probiotic Bacteria and a my daily addition of Doc's Eco-Bytes Live Phyto. Lost some of my pod population, but they should reproduce fairly quickly.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank going? I just got my tank last night. Any tips for a first time jelly keeper?

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing awesome. Just did my water change and chemi-pure replacement last night.

My biggest advice is do at least a 2 week cycle before redeeming your jellies. I would also get some live rubble or SeaChem's de*nitrate and put in a media bag. Cut out a spot in the sponge filter and put it in there. Throw some mysis in there to kick start that ammonia buildup for your starter bacteria. I didn't do this at first but looking back it would have alleviated some first time jelly parent problems.
They supply you with a biostarter bacteria bottle. You can use that as directed, but I would go ahead and order a bottle each of DrTim Aquatics "One and Only" and use that as your starter, Waste-Away and Eco-Balance (each by DrTims) for your weekly water changes.

Before redeeming your jellies make sure ammonia and nitrites are 0 and they say nitrates less than 40 (I would advise lower than that and close to 0 as possible).

Do 1 gallon water changes weekly and add your maintain bacteria.

I only feed them the freeze dried food they send with the jellies and 2 of my 3 are getting huge (the runt of litter just won't grow).

Change out your chemipure monthly. You'll know when it's pretty much exhausted when you start to see some algae growth on the bottom and back wall where your light shines. I keep my light off when I'm not viewing it to limit algae growth (some people say they leave theirs on 24/7 and never have had algae, I'm throwing the BS flag on that because it seems like these people clean their tank multiple times a week and want to seem like jelly parent gods).

And lastly, join the Facebook group "Jelly Care Club". It's a good group, created and moderated by Jellyfish Art, with lots of knowledge, advice, and experience for any questions and issues you may have.

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing I add a capful of Doc's Eco-Matter pods every week or 2 (natural live food supply, lots of people hatch brine shrimp I've just never had a reason to since mine are thriving and doing well) and add some live phyto (Doc's Bytes) daily.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips! I have some marine pure ball in my 100g reef. I'm goi g to break up a few to fit int eh rear chamber as my live rock for bacteria. Do you think I will still have to add a weekly shouldn't of bacteria ?

Have you have had issues with feeding the pods?i have my own culture going but have. Heard mixed opinions of feeding it to the jellies.

Joined that FB group! Thanks so much :)

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your post on there. I always add bacteria weekly. The downside of the tank is any food that gets on the bottom is hard to get up.
The jellies are really sensitive to ammonia and will deteriorate rapidly with an ammonia spike.
I've had no issues with the pods. You lose so much of them by doing 50% changes that there is no issue of overfeeding them. I see no difference than those that feed live brine.

I use poly floss but only at the top where the water bubbles over. I put a piece under the chemipure and then some on top of the sponge on the ends. I replace the floss monthly.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks shaLin. I may try the pod route as I have some cultures of them already. I read that some can feed on the jellies which for me worried.

OP
OP
2Shainz

2Shainz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks shaLin. I may try the pod route as I have some cultures of them already. I read that some can feed on the jellies which for me worried.

I suppose that is possible, but the pods that Doc's used are perfect. My jellies eat them up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back