Shallow Rimless 90g

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine you'll get a follow up from Holly in a week or two as well.

Just noticed your in UT.... Been visiting the past few years for winter fun! Ogden area the first couple trips and Big/Little Cottonwood the past couple. Can't get enough of Utah winter! Do see much snow being further south?

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Holly is the one who I have been talking to. Very pleasant transaction it was. Now I see they have nice SPSs I might hit them up down the road.

We moved to UT from out of state recently, so we are still exploring the area, its a beautiful place! And we got decent amount of snow, i think. Not like up north tho of course, but just enough to keep the local snowhill open for skiing/snowboarding

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lid holders came. Made of stainless;
DSC_4449.jpg

In action.
DSC_4451.jpg

Stuff to make mesh lid;
DSC_4452.jpg

Done;
DSC_4454.jpg

Since its 46"+ long, the middle part warped a bit, but it'll serve its purpose.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres not much to update, dosed BioDigest.

DSC_4548.jpg

Got the AirPort Express, went wireless between Apex and the router:
DSC_4550.jpg

Sump:
DSC_4549.jpg

Started to soak the biopellets to get the bacteria going a bit.

Aaaan FTS, just because.
DSC_4552.jpg

Fish look lonely in there..

Whats my next move? Thinking to get some SPS and a wrasse.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needless to say, LiveAquaria is AMAZING.

White box held 1 frag piece, which i think came from ORA directly. lots of water, heat pack, couldnt ask more!
DSC_4555.jpg

Left from DD, right from ORA:
DSC_4556.jpg

Aussie Subulata:
DSC_4562.jpg

Indonesia Maricultured Tenuis:
DSC_4565.jpg

ORA BottleBrush Acro
DSC_4564.jpg

DD's WYSIWYG is pretty accurate with this purchase.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You started with dead rocks from BRS? Did you test for phosphates? Just wondering if starting from scratch like that brings phosphates. Nice build! I'm starting a rimless 36"x 18x 18 too. Gotta beef up my stand which I hope to do this weekend. Debating using dead or live rocks.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the size of that tank. Very nice clean set-up you have there as well.
Thanks Jaime! Means a lot!

You started with dead rocks from BRS? Did you test for phosphates? Just wondering if starting from scratch like that brings phosphates. Nice build! I'm starting a rimless 36"x 18x 18 too. Gotta beef up my stand which I hope to do this weekend. Debating using dead or live rocks.
Yes i used only Tonga dead rocks from BRS, i did not cook them. I heard/read people getting PO4 with their (Pukani) rocks and whatnot, but I had luck in the past. I did test for Po4 but i don't think i posted it. I will get on it now

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jaime! Means a lot!

Yes i used only Tonga dead rocks from BRS, i did not cook them. I heard/read people getting PO4 with their (Pukani) rocks and whatnot, but I had luck in the past. I did test for Po4 but i don't think i posted it. I will get on it now

I got some tonga rocks from brs too. They came bleached white. Was that how yours came? How long did you have them in the bucket before putting into the tank and how long overall have you had them wet? I'm up in the air about starting from scratch and fighting phosphates. I'm going to break down my nano when I start and can use some old coralline rocks but not all are tonga. That's why I got the brs rocks but what I got is not exactly what I wanted that's why I'm undecided if I want to use them at all. Trying to find some at a lfs but man are they expensive. They actually cost more than steak! Lol

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some tonga rocks from brs too. They came bleached white. Was that how yours came? How long did you have them in the bucket before putting into the tank and how long overall have you had them wet? I'm up in the air about starting from scratch and fighting phosphates. I'm going to break down my nano when I start and can use some old coralline rocks but not all are tonga. That's why I got the brs rocks but what I got is not exactly what I wanted that's why I'm undecided if I want to use them at all. Trying to find some at a lfs but man are they expensive. They actually cost more than steak! Lol

Just tested for Po4 and its 0.00.
DSC_4574.jpg

I think I kept them in the tub for good two months. I did and am dosing BioDigest every 15 days. I had good luck with it in the past. If you are worried about leeching Po4, give them acid bath.

My tongas were and still are dead white. I too don't want to put unwanted stuff, but i do want to seed coralline. But the corals i got today from DD came with rocks with stuff on it, I'm hoping that it would help bio-diversify the the system.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested for Po4 and its 0.00.
DSC_4574.jpg

I think I kept them in the tub for good two months. I did and am dosing BioDigest every 15 days. I had good luck with it in the past. If you are worried about leeching Po4, give them acid bath.

My tongas were and still are dead white. I too don't want to put unwanted stuff, but i do want to seed coralline. But the corals i got today from DD came with rocks with stuff on it, I'm hoping that it would help bio-diversify the the system.
Can you please share how you seeded your rocks? Did you use a skimmer during the time? How about water changes, etc?

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot amount off tonga branch you have there look around 30-40 pounds
Tonga rocks are more dense, i think. And you are correct, theres 40~lbs of rocks.

Can you please share how you seeded your rocks? Did you use a skimmer during the time? How about water changes, etc?
I placed the rocks and saltwater in a tub, with heater and a powerhead. Had a lid but not shut completely. No skimmer. Ran like that for a month or so. Topped off with RODI here and there. Ghost fed a bit too. Then I transferred them to the tank, dosed BioDigest. Added dry sand with 10lbs of live sand, let it sit. Occasionally ghost fed some pellets here and there. Dosed BioDigest before clowns went in. So from the day the rocks got wet till clowns went in, it should be like 60 days or so.

Back