Sharing Triton Results - marine pure user

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll be this guy, is it causing any problems? I use marine pure blocks or the balls in pretty much every system I have or care for. I even have a large block in my 48x13x13 experiential frag tank, and see zero issues and haven't seen anything detrimental. Frankly I don't give a rip if there's Al in the water as it just doesn't seem to cause problems, but that's just me..

Do you keep leather corals? They seem most sensitive to aluminum, historically.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be where my take on this would become false, with leather corals. I don't have a single leather, everything but them actually, so that may be something to experiment with. Pretty much everything else and haven't seen issues.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would regular water changes deal with any hypothesized alumium leeching into the water column, or could absorbion into the rock annul that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would regular water changes deal with any hypothesized alumium leeching into the water column, or could absorbion into the rock annul that?

Historically, Phosguard (aluminum oxide) was known to sometimes cause issues with leathers. That is what prompted me years ago to test for released aluminum, and I found it. After battling with Seachem for years, it is now nice that so many others reproduce the results that these solids are not as inert as the manufacturers claim.

That said, there are likely many ways to help reduce it, including water changes and, as Triton suggests, GFO which may bind some aluminum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back