Shark pond

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I am in the right place, if not feel free to move to the correct spot.

I am doing early research for my next build. Once I have my current build going I hope to add this along side it. My current is a 120 in wall, and I am building the wall around the tank. I would like to add a shark pond on the outside of the wall. The tanks wouldn't be connected by water, two separate units. What size pond should I design or size for a couple small sharks or possibly blue spot rays? Being lower on he ground, what is the best way to add a sump for fileration?

I've done predator tanks wih large bioloads, how do sharks compare?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Footprint is more important than height.

Connecting a sump that is on the same level as the pond is possible using a bulkhead going out of the pond with a guard and pumping the water from the sump back to the display.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eatbreakfast, I am going to want to pick your brain if your the expert here.

I am really wanting a blue spot ray, but then one or more smaller sharks too. What size footprint is recommended? I don't want "they need ___ gallons to survive". I want what they need to be happy and thrive. If I can't go big enough I won't do it. Not needing the height, which you said and I figured, it comes down to foot print.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eatbreakfast, I am going to want to pick your brain if your the expert here.

I am really wanting a blue spot ray, but then one or more smaller sharks too. What size footprint is recommended? I don't want "they need ___ gallons to survive". I want what they need to be happy and thrive. If I can't go big enough I won't do it. Not needing the height, which you said and I figured, it comes down to foot print.
By no means am I an expert. In ideal situations 48"x48" would be great and if you can do any larger that would be utilized.

Depending on the species, commonly available sharks range from 27"-42" when fully mature, allowing more space for turning and avoiding tankmates that want similar real estate is always beneficial.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking bigger then that. I am wanting it into the 6*6 or 8*8 size range. Maybe into a curved front as well to enable them to maneuver around with as few corners as possible. Almost like a corner tank would be and use the corner for my plumbing and pumps behind a sort of wall.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking bigger then that. I am wanting it into the 6*6 or 8*8 size range. Maybe into a curved front as well to enable them to maneuver around with as few corners as possible. Almost like a corner tank would be and use the corner for my plumbing and pumps behind a sort of wall.
If you can do that then that should be more than enough space. Cat and epaulette sharks can negotiate xorners better than more active sharks, but won't mind the curve either.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! That is my current plan once I finish my wall build.

Any recommendations on liner material? I was thinking something like rubber roofing material without the granular surface. May we there is something better though.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on a great track here.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pond liners can "work" however they should be as thick as possible and preferably double lined.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cover is also an extremely good idea, no matter what you decide on

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this closely, would love to see what u come up with. Im debating on whether to make an entire living area my marine life room with a shark pond as well!

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing worth mentioning is blue spots are one of the most difficult rays to keep. I would suggest starting with a different species such as cortez or yellow spot round rays or Atlantic stingrays. An 8x8 would be great for various tropical species of epaulettes, bamboos, and catsharks. Atlantic guitarfish are also a potential option.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing worth mentioning is blue spots are one of the most difficult rays to keep. I would suggest starting with a different species such as cortez or yellow spot round rays or Atlantic stingrays. An 8x8 would be great for various tropical species of epaulettes, bamboos, and catsharks. Atlantic guitarfish are also a potential option.

Good to know. I like to be successful, but also like the challenge. Whatever I start with or add, research is key I have learned.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed... with blue spots it is usually an import and conditioning issue. They come in very emaciated and reluctant to feed. Force feeding is not something a fledgling Ray keeper is usually comfortable with, but is often needed to get them to a comfortable weight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back