Shelf life of Weldon?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Weldon 4 and 16 that I've had for about a year and was wondering if this stuff has a shelf life. It isn't dried up or anything, but I don't want to build my new ATO reservoir only to find that I wasted my time because it won't hold water.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Weldon 4 and 16 that I've had for about a year and was wondering if this stuff has a shelf life. It isn't dried up or anything, but I don't want to build my new ATO reservoir only to find that I wasted my time because it won't hold water.

I have some 2 year old weldon that worked find for a friend of mine but they were still sealed brand new. Not sure about anything opened...maybe Troy can answer that part.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these were opened. They were kept inside the house, so it didnt go through any temp swings, but I don't know if it will react with any air in the container and screw up its bonding power

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these were opened. They were kept inside the house, so it didnt go through any temp swings, but I don't know if it will react with any air in the container and screw up its bonding power

Do you have any spare pieces of acrylic to test it out? I would think if it is only a year old and a cap was on you should be good to go.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it on a couple scrap pieces and the weldon 16 seemed to work well, but the 4 didn't seem to hold like it should. However, the pieces were rough cut, so that may be the only reason. They were ripped on a table saw, and were too small to put on the router table without losing a finger. The only other acrylic I have is needed for the ATO reservoir and I have fractions of an inch as far as wiggle room, so I can't really get a clean cut piece off.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it on a couple scrap pieces and the weldon 16 seemed to work well, but the 4 didn't seem to hold like it should. However, the pieces were rough cut, so that may be the only reason. They were ripped on a table saw, and were too small to put on the router table without losing a finger. The only other acrylic I have is needed for the ATO reservoir and I have fractions of an inch as far as wiggle room, so I can't really get a clean cut piece off.

Here i found a spec sheet...check page 2 about shelf life. http://www.regalplastics.net/pdf/PB4.pdf Hope that helps a little.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shelf life is about a year, but if the can was open it's hard to say mc " methelyne chloride" is the first thing to evaporate and depending on how tight it was sealed would be the factor..... normally when the mc evaps it's starts to look and feel oily and doesn't bond very well......

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know weldon isn't always easy to get but I just wouldn't trust an open can of weldon that has been sitting for a while.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like I better order some more just to be safe. Thanks for the help everybody! Last thing I need is a few gallons of water on my floor when the bond breaks...

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was only 4oz and I used maybe half of it in a year, lol. I had about 10 different projects, but nothing large scale. The only thing that stinks is that I have to buy it online and wait for shipping. The only place I've found locally that carries it requires a contractor license to buy anything. So much for getting it done over the next couple days off...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back