Shoaling & Schooling For 125g ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I like symbiotic relationships, like Clownfish with Anemones, so with our 125g mixed reef build, we want a group of shoalingthat will school together.

We like blue Damsels, but they can be a little mean.
Green Chromis's are ok.
Ì'm getting to like the Banggai Cardinals a little more, but not great.

What we like best,....are the Anthias, but for a dozen or so, they are expensive.

I'd like to get a list of choices from you guys.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like several Butterfly's, but I forgot to say we want small fish sizes for the schooling effect.
Plus, a lot of Butterfly's species are not reef safe, they like to munch on corals, especially zoe's, to them
is like us eating popcorn. lol

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with tilefish then. Purple, blue head, skunk, yellow, and flashing are good selection to choose from. Great as main display as well!!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried but have heard that they actually don't.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish are pair-forming when they mature, so don't really shoal.

Scissortail and zebra daryfish are social. Dispar and randalls anthias are easier, less expensive anthias that are more peaceful in their species than bartletts or lyretails. If you can find fusiliers, they are social.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do this mainly for protection. They will often school or shoal when first placed into an aquarium because they're nervous. As they learn that there are no predators in the tank, they begin to disperse. You're not really going to get the shoaling behavior in the typical home aquarium. At least not for very long.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that zebra and scissortail dartfish and randalls and dispar anthias stay together pretty well in aquaria.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I don't know if I like the blue streak's, but I'll look for some video's.
I'll also look at the other fish listed.

Elegance Coral- I hope we have better luck. Lol...

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen video's or have read about the invasion of Banggai Cardinalfish ?
Another fish that when I first looked at this species at a LFS, I did not like them, but as time goes by, I like them better now.

I don't like in the video below, that they can run Clown Fish out of their anemonie !
(we love their relationship so,...gerrrrr) :mad::mad::mad:

Banggai cardinalfish invasion in Lembeh Strait
ZoologicalServices

Youtube video--

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some type of cardinal is your best choice.
Personally I like the mix of redspot and blue streak cardinals. I've seen many tank that mix the 2 and have a very eye pleasing school.
Here's a picture of the 2.
IMG_4497.JPG

Red spot - 1.5" Max Size
IMG_4498.JPG

Blue streak - 2 to 2.5"
IMG_4172.JPG

Mix of both... you could get a relatively large school of each because they don't get huge.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love,.....the Male Lyretail Anthia !

Me too, and they are a great starter/intro for anthia, and I really like mixing these w/ chromis, and they all seem to group together quite often, love the mix of orange and blue.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do this mainly for protection. They will often school or shoal when first placed into an aquarium because they're nervous. As they learn that there are no predators in the tank, they begin to disperse. You're not really going to get the shoaling behavior in the typical home aquarium. At least not for very long.

Get a hawkfish and the smaller fish will school real tightly to one another, lol. Especially an angry Archeye Hawk. It did a really good job of keeping my green chromis and firefish schooling together.

OP, firefish school nicely, but they will typically stay low near their burrow. Chromis are better for the open water. I have no experience with Anthias, but have read that many times that they eventually start killing one another. Maybe because of lack of food? Not sure.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hawkfish and the smaller fish will school real tightly to one another, lol. Especially an angry Archeye Hawk. It did a really good job of keeping my green chromis and firefish schooling together.

OP, firefish school nicely, but they will typically stay low near their burrow. Chromis are better for the open water. I have no experience with Anthias, but have read that many times that they eventually start killing one another. Maybe because of lack of food? Not sure.

Depends on type of anthia, bartletts are known to peck each other off, but many keep lyretails w/out issues, carberryi's, dispars, ignitus also play well together, but of those lyretails are easiest to get eating properly, eat pellets, and less shy, and actually help more shy species come out.
I have had lyretails, carbs, and dispars together long term succesfully.
I don't think you need an aggressive fish to keep them grouped, just a larger fish may help, like a tang, but even w/out a larger fish both my anthia and chromis have stayed tightly grouped

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back