Should Have kept My Chem Notes

Shawn.B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back in the day I could easily figure this one out... now im suruggling to say the least

I am trying to make a 10-4 M solution of GABA if anyone could help me with volumes that would be much appreciated. in the meantime I will be on Google furiously trying to find the answer myself

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to make a molar solution of GABA? I don't know what 10-4 is???

Simply take the molar solution you wish to make, times the volume you wish to make up, times the g/mole (molecular weight) of the compound you're interested in....and that's what you'd weigh out.

Now the only GABA I know is gamma aminobutryic acid, and I don't know why you'd want to add this to your tank, but I'll use it as the example....it's g/mole is 130.1. My example will be for a 2M solution in one liter of water....

(2 moles/liter GABA) X (1 liter (end volume)) X (130.1 g/mole) = grams needed for 2 M solution in 1 liter

(2 moles/liter GABA) X (1 liter (end volume)) X (130.1 g/mole) =260.2 grams

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Shawn.B

Shawn.B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! sorry I couldn't reply quicker I'm at work ;)
for those who are wondering.. I am going to try using GABA to induce settlement and metamorphosis of my Berghia, I watched a talk from 2016 MACNA about white abalone which mentioned its use and after more research it seems GABA is effective on many creature in the class Gastropoda

Back