Show Me Your Brute Cans Water Float Valves

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my fish rooms RO/DI setup ready, and I have two Brute containers, one for fresh the second for new salt batches, that I want to add float valves to. What type works best for these cans ?

Let's see yours.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ppl use these in combo with a shutoff kit on the RO/DI unit.
no-adj-float-valve.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no-adj-float-valve.jpg

How and what's needed for the shutoff kit on the RO/DI unit ?
+1 I use one of these as well. If your unit is from BRS then it probably has the shutoff kit already installed and all you would need is the float valve. If it's another brand then I'm not sure. They sell autoshutoff kits on their website.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no-adj-float-valve.jpg
I use this too, my Brute is on casters and I roll it to the rodi unit. I have a piece of rodi tubing with a quick connect on the brute. I hook up the rodi unit, turn it on and come back later. Haven't overflowed a bucket since doing it this way, at least not from the rodi unit haha

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did order the BRS Plus system 1.5 years ago, so I need to check to see if I have the shut off valve. I've had two bad health issues the last year, so I haven't unboxed it or look on my order list.

I know I'll need the Uniseal's for the bulkheads.
What size did you install ?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did order the BRS Plus system 1.5 years ago, so I need to check to see if I have the shut off valve. I've had two bad health issues the last year, so I haven't unboxed it or look on my order list.

I know I'll need the Uniseal's for the bulkheads.
What size did you install ?
The pictured float valve will install on the trash can as is (at least that's what I did). You just drill a hole big enough (I think it was 1/2" but I can't completely remember).

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimed over that Evast Barrel Tender system, an wow,.......very nice.
I'll read all of it and listen to their video tomorrow.

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what everyone has said, it's worked well for me. For the last 2-3 years I've had a 20gal brute on wheels with the float valve in the first response. Never leaked or failed with the ASV included in my BRS 150gpd RO/DI unit.

I've definitely had plenty of spills/overflows when I left the room "just for a second" before I had a float valve/ASV combo :)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the o/p, have you considered plumbing the brute cans into your system? Basically let water flow through bucket 1 and 2 then into your sump. When it's time to change water, turn a valve to bypass bucket 1. Drain bucket 1, fill w/ ro and mix salt. Turn valve to add bucket one back into the system. Water change is done.

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tandem with a ASO Valve on my Spectrapure RO/DI unit, but i recently upgraded to a Avast Marine Barrel Tender V2.

Thanks for the ref to the V2 of the Barrel Tender! I wasn't aware that Avast now has Apex connectivity for it...

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the o/p, have you considered plumbing the brute cans into your system? Basically let water flow through bucket 1 and 2 then into your sump. When it's time to change water, turn a valve to bypass bucket 1. Drain bucket 1, fill w/ ro and mix salt. Turn valve to add bucket one back into the system. Water change is done.

I'll think about that, sounds cool. Performing the water change in the in wall 125g is backed up to the fish/sump room, so that'll work well, but we have three snaller tanks in other rooms, so like wpeterson above, I bought the Brute dolly wheels so I can roll the cans around where I want. Makes life so,.....much faster and easier for this old man.

This is what I'm thinking for water changing the 125g.

I'm tired carrying the 5g bucket to either the bath room or kitchen. Back in the 90's, I placed both Brute cans in the closet in the fish room, and drilled a 1/2" hole in the floor and tapped into a water supply sourse in the basement, then ran it up to the closet with a ball valve, and hooked it up to my RO/DI. I then could fill each can up with water.

What I'm thinking now, is drilling a 1-1/2" or so, hole next to the tank or sump and run 1-1/2" PVC pipe down to the basement to either the cloths washer drain or floor drain, that way I can do away with buckets all together !

What's your thoughts ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back