OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do prety much the same. about a dozen on hand. swap them out twice per week and wask them all once a month or so. The BRS socks don't hold up as well as the Red sea or premium aquatics ones. Havent tried Vertex yet as nobody ever seems to have the 4"

Yeah, I use to run the BRS ones, but then I became a wholesaler for Premium Aquatics... so I figured I better switch over lol. And yes, the Premium Aquatics socks last twice as long as the BRS!

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that @Broadfield is not running the stock Red Sea sump. Beneath his lovely tank is an equally wondrous sump - not to mention the control area fit for a DJ's table... ;-)
The stock Red Sea sump won't accept off-brand 4" socks, sadly. A clear play to capture business, but there it is. There are DIY mods that have been done to convert the trays to accept standard 4" socks out there...
Aahh yes, I forgot about the awesomeness lurking under Broadfield's reefer!

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 200 felt ones from Premium Aquatics. I just checked my last order of them and it was back on 6/15/16... and they are still in good shape!
Is it easy to make them fit in the plastic trays? I like doing business with Jason at PA so would be happy to order them from him.

Scaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started My Manifold, Just waiting on 3rd reactor to be delivered and some more fittings to finish. ATO tank to be used as refugium with drain piped into the return section and the gate valve on the far left side is for anything I may want to add in the future

20170113_221518_zps1bry7bhn.jpg

Also being in the UK our standard pipe is 32mm which is the same as the reefer return fitting.. Does anyone know if its ok to just bond a right angle fitting straight onto the reefer fitting like this? I wasn't sure if the plastic is different and wont bond?

20170113_222108_zpsgrk1thyw.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it easy to make them fit in the plastic trays? I like doing business with Jason at PA so would be happy to order them from him.

It's not bad, but that's coming from me... so it may not be that easy for the regular Joe. I used a drum sander on an air die grinder. You have to enlarge the opening on both the sock tray and the sock tray holder. The main problem is that it makes a mess. So that's why I recommend everyone do it before they get water in the tank. However, the plastic shavings will float. So if you already have the tank up and running, you can simply net the plastic out of the sump.

Last edited:

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started My Manifold, Just waiting on 3rd reactor to be delivered and some more fittings to finish. ATO tank to be used as refugium with drain piped into the return section and the gate valve on the far left side is for anything I may want to add in the future

20170113_221518_zps1bry7bhn.jpg

Very nice @Scaff

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P ! ! ! !
My entire sump is overflowing as for some reason the RO reserve just dumps all the water into the sump. Anyone know how to check if the ATO is working properly or basically how to fix this issue?
Now my salinity is going to be off and wacked out!

Last edited:

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
H E L P ! ! ! !
My entire sump is overflowing as for some reason the RO reserve just dumps all the water into the sump. Anyone know how to check if the ATO is working properly or basically how to fix this issue?

What auto top off system are you using? Are you using the built in ATO or a 3rd party system like the Tunze Osmolator.

Some pictures would really help, especially of the float switch area.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P ! ! ! !
Just remove the ATO all Together until you can get it figured out so you're not just dumping RO water over and over.
Like others said, more details. Pics.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I had to go to work so will get some photos once I return later this afternoon! It is the stock ATO system.

How do you actually test the float switch?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can simply pull up on the float with a finger until it stops. This should stop the trickle of RO water. If the to is still coming out with the float all the way up then there's your problem. Could simply be salt creep keeping the float from actually floating and stopping the flow. The stock ato is gravity feed using the float as an open/close valve. Your fix should be pretty strait forward and float valves are notorious for salt creep.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the stock ATO with a passion. I have to clean my float valve every few days or it does not work properly. Already bought a new 5 gallon ATO container and was waiting on Neptune to release the FMM ATO package that they said would be out by the end of 2016. Might just buy the Tunze, since as usual Terence is good at announcing things, making them orange and gray, and Neptune is terrible at delivering them on time.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P ! ! ! !

Is your ATO's water level higher than the sump? A back siphon may be occurring. I've had this happen.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I didn't care for the stock ato either. My float didn't seem right when it was delivered. I put a Tunze and 5gal container on it before starting her up.
I also have a 250 so the cabinet was tight to begin with.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had some time to spend getting things together just waiting on some more plumbing.

Got the Orphek' mounted on the AI rail and AI hanging kit.
Painted the rails white since I went and covered the inner in white vinyl too.
IMG_0054.JPG

Took th Orphek's apart to paint the silver sides white too

IMG_0056.JPG

Redid the return side to use silicone connections.

Image1484499570.864276.jpg

IMG_0053.JPG

Getting this to the opposite side has been a real PIA to get done clean.

Image1484499620.197412.jpg

Got all the Auto Water change lines and calcium reactor lines run and tucked to the dry side of the stand.

Image1484499690.739752.jpg

Last edited:

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea Reefer 170. It's a 42 gallon cube with sump. I'm running a XR15 Pro G4 light , Bubble magus Skimmer, Tunze Auto top off with a 9 gallon acrylic reservoir, Vectra M1 return pump and a MP10 on the side. I'm working on pluming in my Chiller and my UV sterilizer.

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_7616.JPG
IMG_6887.JPG

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap!!!... i just spent around 1k on parts to build out mixing station and plumb this 450! :eek::eek::eek:

what makes it worse is i'm sure i'll be missing a stupid fitting that will delay entire build.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap!!!... i just spent around 1k on parts to build out mixing station and plumb this 450! :eek::eek::eek:

what makes it worse is i'm sure i'll be missing a stupid fitting that will delay entire build.

lol welcome to the club I lost track on the budget lol

Back