jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, that may have been answered somewhere in this post...

Where are you draining water for changes, out of sump or DT? Is there a preference or advantage to either?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where are you draining water for changes, out of sump or DT? Is there a preference or advantage to either?

I am shutting return pump off and draining from display. Primarily because I run a bare bottom system and this allows me to siphon out the junk on the bottom glass. If I wasn't running filter socks in my sump I would probably drain the water from the sump as I attempted to siphon the crap off the bottom of the sump. It makes no difference really, draining out of the display you'll have gravity on your side unless you are using a pump to pump water out.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Always the sump for weekly water changes. Only time I drain anything from DT is if I need a large water change for some reason.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always the sump for weekly water changes. Only time I drain anything from DT is if I need a large water change for some reason.

Do you do any sand/rock maintenance/siphon for detritus?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do any sand/rock maintenance/siphon for detritus?

Usually an hour before the water change I will take a turkey baster to the rocks. Though lately, not as much of a concern with a fallow tank. Only 5 weeks and 3 days left until I can add fish again.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 weeks of running the skimmer line outside, I added the CO2 scrubber last night to see what kind of difference it makes. It did move the skimmer noise back in the house, but quieter than when the muffler was on. Last night the pH dropped only .03 all night. Going to run this for a few weeks, see how long the soda lime lasts and how it affects pH and decide if I want to keep using it or just go back to the outside airline only.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I drain from the sump.
First I use my Wav pumps and blow off the rocks, wait 1 hour for the water to clear.
Then FeedC on my Apex activates a Sicce Sincra 2.0 in the sump that is plumbed to my kitchen sink drain. There's a virtual outlet that functions as a timer and turns the sump drain pump off about a minute after cavitation starts. It measures out to about a 24gal water change. While the sump drains I'm cleaning socks and skimmer.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody running a wave in their Reefer? Does it interfere with the drain and require adjustments of the drain valve? Since the overflow is in the middle I wouldn't think it would cause too much trouble. Roadrunner is dropping off my tank Friday!

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 weeks of running the skimmer line outside, I added the CO2 scrubber last night to see what kind of difference it makes. It did move the skimmer noise back in the house, but quieter than when the muffler was on. Last night the pH dropped only .03 all night. Going to run this for a few weeks, see how long the soda lime lasts and how it affects pH and decide if I want to keep using it or just go back to the outside airline only.

Be sure to let us know how it goes. I added a CO2 scrubber to mine which keeps my pH at 8.2 during the day and only drops to 8.1 at night. I'm definitely happy with that but I also have access to running a line outside so I'll be interested in seeing the difference between the two. I think I'm getting a couple weeks out of the soda lime before I have to change it out so as expensive as it can be I might just run the line outside if it's all about the same.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That scrubber is awesome but once I saw that price

Wanted to try out an Algae Turf Scrubber, when I got the chance to grab the @SantaMonica RAIN2 I jumped on it. I haven't got it installed on the tank just yet!

5835B5FF-596D-4BE7-8906-EA60DBE4CEFC_zpsyrsccbju.jpg

GEM5 lights
77F23615-5A3F-436F-B0F0-1A33FCDA1E73_zpsbu1yif8h.jpg

Currently there is 1 GEM5 light installed in the ATS. I do have all 4 lights and will install them as needed!
A530107A-05A2-4082-AD51-948FBE555579_zpsezl0xdi1.jpg

Test fitting the ATS in the sump of my Red Sea Reefer 250. Still not sure if I will install it here, but I wanted to see how well it would fit!
99395417-7724-4430-AACB-B50DF3490D7C_zpsso7o9mvf.jpg

The ATS with the hood on for test fitment-
82DD82F4-36CA-4D21-978F-7E56B9F28726_zpspkmw25ee.jpg

The Nyos 120 skimmer have proven to be a work horse and is still dead silent!
A3B7AD84-903A-45B8-BECB-3707DDD81C53_zpssi6vch6f.jpg

After a Week -
7CBD57BF-7505-4ACD-B9A8-1A517F3BF3B6_zpsg2nvp0ux.jpg

1E9722DA-6128-4400-B0FA-45641B9FD569_zpshgsi5od5.jpg

Cleaned and ready to return to service-
1F25E81D-F39D-44B2-86EC-4DBC46925012_zpsvau2snwd.jpg

Be sure to always do your research when buying fish! I decided I wanted to try a Butterfly fish, the fish was beautiful no doubt. Shortly after introducing the fish into the tank I noticed that my zoa's were closed up. I knew the Butterfly was responsible, I wasn't worried about the zoa's as they are one of my least favorite corals. But when the Butterfly decided to start picking my my scoly and acan's it was time to go!

Luckily for me getting the rock out of the tank is simple. Since I used the Emarco 400 to bond my rock work together to make 2 large structures I removed both structures and trapped the Butterfly!

B597A6F0-A564-4F39-B5AD-AC1239395485_zpsijrgoumx.jpg

This seemed like a good time to flip the rocks around. I used to have the large structure on the left, I decided to put it on the right and see how it looked -

4BCEE358-4E69-4CB5-8389-174692BB5A6A_zpsjjoggzeq.jpg

5EA97DA7-6083-4252-9F9D-0BC5051F715E_zpskmjwgmro.jpg

9939412F-5BB3-4921-83E8-1E4CC7C3AF0B_zpsbyocjdq9.jpg

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What website did you order these parts from ?

@Sharkz and @Jonathan Iu... here's a breakdown using colored furniture grade PVC and 1" main piping... if you are using 3/4" main piping, then simply substitute the 1" parts for 3/4".

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (4) 1" 90 degree elbows
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

STANDARD SCHEDULE 40/80 FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves
  • (6) 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapters (for top of reactors)
  • (1) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting)

ADDITIONAL FITTINGS NEEDED IF DOING THE MAIN AND EMERGENCY DRAINS LIKE MINE
  • (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

O-RINGS NEEDED FOR ADAPTERS ON TOP OF REACTORS
  • (12) I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to let us know how it goes. I added a CO2 scrubber to mine which keeps my pH at 8.2 during the day and only drops to 8.1 at night. I'm definitely happy with that but I also have access to running a line outside so I'll be interested in seeing the difference between the two. I think I'm getting a couple weeks out of the soda lime before I have to change it out so as expensive as it can be I might just run the line outside if it's all about the same.

Will update in a week or so and then another week after that so I can get about 2 weeks and see how it goes. I got my soda lime from shopmedvet so was about half of what BRS charges (BRS was out of stock.) Right now my pH is 8.31, highest it has ever been. With the outside line alone 8.26 was the highest I saw. That said I can already see a small section of the soda lime at the bottom turning purple and it hasn't even been 24 hours. Hopefully I can get 2-3 weeks out of it.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What website did you order these parts from ?
  • BRS for the colored pipe
  • Aquarium Specialty and Amazon for the colored fittings
  • PVCFittingsOnline.com for the schedule 80 adapters, true unions, gate valves and ball valve

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of that is correct, but you will need to order a replacement Red Sea barbed return fitting assembly... then simply remove the barbed section and replace it with the 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP. It's the circled part:

Are more of these required simply for the lower collar - the collars on the overflow pipes won't just slip off?

In the UK I have metric pipe. 1" equals 25.4mm, if I recall correctly. Red Sea told me the following:

"The inlet barb has a 3/4 thread ( All Reefers)

The inlet and over flow pipe work on all Reefers is 25mm the main down flow is 32mm on all Reefers hope this helps."

Still a bit confused...

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are more of these required simply for the lower collar - the collars on the overflow pipes won't just slip off?

In the UK I have metric pipe. 1" equals 25.4mm. Red Sea told me the following:

"The inlet barb has a 3/4 thread ( All Reefers)

The inlet and over flow pipe work on all Reefers is 25mm the main down flow is 32mm on all Reefers hope this helps."

Still a bit confused...

Regardless of Red Sea pipe size, the three bulkheads on the bottom of the tank are all the same size. So the return assembly, which has the barbed fitting, will fit on all of the bulkheads. The collars are a part of the assemblies, not the bulkheads. And the drain pipes are all glued to the collar assembly. Whereas the barbed return fitting is threaded to the collar assembly. So it makes it convenient to simply use three of the return collar assemblies, to convert over to PVC pipe, for each of the three bulkheads... simply unthread the Red Sea barbed fitting and screw in a MPT x SLIP adapter to use whatever PVC pipe/fittings you want.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of Red Sea pipe size, the three bulkheads on the bottom of the tank are all the same size. So the return assembly, which has the barbed fitting, will fit on all of the bulkheads. The collars are a part of the assemblies, not the bulkheads. And the drain pipes are all glued to the collar assembly. Whereas the barbed return fitting is threaded to the collar assembly. So it makes it convenient to simply use three of the return collar assemblies, to convert over to PVC pipe, for each of the three bulkheads... simply unthread the Red Sea barbed fitting and screw in a MPT x SLIP adapter to use whatever PVC pipe/fittings you want.

Sorry, I just took a closer look at your pictures, compared to the original pipework and finally it sunk in... You use the return fitting because the others have pipes glued in but the return one doesn't.

Cognac, I blame the cognac...

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just took a closer look at your pictures, compared to the original pipework and finally it sunk in... You use the return fitting because the others have pipes glued in but the return one doesn't.

Cognac, I blame the cognac...

You got it!

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of Red Sea pipe size, the three bulkheads on the bottom of the tank are all the same size. So the return assembly, which has the barbed fitting, will fit on all of the bulkheads. The collars are a part of the assemblies, not the bulkheads. And the drain pipes are all glued to the collar assembly. Whereas the barbed return fitting is threaded to the collar assembly. So it makes it convenient to simply use three of the return collar assemblies, to convert over to PVC pipe, for each of the three bulkheads... simply unthread the Red Sea barbed fitting and screw in a MPT x SLIP adapter to use whatever PVC pipe/fittings you want.[/QUOTE

Yeah what he said!! Ha

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back