blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did everyone put the apex probes? I have mine in the center sump downstream of the ato input (in the far right where water enters), and I can see a drop in temp when the ato is on. I also have it downstream of the dosing input, but I haven't started dosing yet to notice.

My probes are in the right side where all the water drains into the sump. Heaters are in the same section. I have my dosing tubes on the left side right above the return pump.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkz and @Jonathan Iu... here's a breakdown using colored furniture grade PVC and 1" main piping... if you are using 3/4" main piping, then simply substitute the 1" parts for 3/4".

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (4) 1" 90 degree elbows
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

STANDARD SCHEDULE 40/80 FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves
  • (6) 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapters (for top of reactors)
  • (1) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting)

ADDITIONAL FITTINGS NEEDED IF DOING THE MAIN AND EMERGENCY DRAINS LIKE MINE
  • (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

O-RINGS NEEDED FOR ADAPTERS ON TOP OF REACTORS
  • (12) I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!

Why do you use 12 O-Rings? 3 Reactors with inlet and outlet I count 6.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This record warmth we are having is certainly making my CO2 scrubber work better. Thought the media was exhausted the other day, but was to lazy to change and it has been fine the last few days. Of course being IL we could have a foot of snow next week. Once the weather breaks for good, going to mess around with just the outside airline to skimmer vs CO2 scrubber again.

Two days left until the fallow period is over, 11 weeks of no fish was not fun (especially since that was about as long as I had fish in there.) Have 2 maroon clowns waiting at the breeders for me to pick up Thursday. Only fish that is still alive in QT is the hippo tang and I just started a second round of copper on him last week as he was acting weird. So about 3 more weeks before I can put him back in the tank.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey any one use the apex jr on there reefer? I'm undecided if I should get it or just suck it up and just get the apex classic. My pumps, lights and power heads already have there own control. Basically just need something to control heaters and skimmer.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey any one use the apex jr on there reefer? I'm undecided if I should get it or just suck it up and just get the apex classic. My pumps, lights and power heads already have there own control. Basically just need something to control heaters and skimmer.

I always want to purchase something with some room for future upgrades. 2 heaters, and skimmer and you are almost out of room.

With a full, you have 8 ports - maybe a fan, ph control, dosers, auto top off.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Oseymour. I see your point just didn't want to spent the money. I've already spent so much and I haven't even brought my first fish yet lol.

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Oseymour. I see your point just didn't want to spent the money. I've already spent so much and I haven't even brought my first fish yet lol.

Yeah... that is the "super fun" part of this hobby :p

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. When glueing pvc is it necessary to use the purple primer or can I just use the regular clear cement ?

Just use clear primer and don't glob on the cement. This will help give you a perfect joint without excess cement squishing out all over your pipe.

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond Jack, nice scape. Do you have the bulb combination in your light fixture?
How did you decide?

Ati Blue Plus
Ati Actinic
Ati Coral Plus
Ati Blue Plus
Ati Purple Plus
Ati Blue Plus

I decided by seeing what another reefing friend I trust did and went with that.

It is a pretty crisp slight blue setup. Has good pop. Pics look bluer than real life.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, no problem, I have it all plumbed in now and should be getting wet in the next few days. Here's a current pic.

CLARISEA.jpg

@Ishy Please do keep us posted on this thing. I tried to justify the Rollermat, but it just would fit with my 450. I'd love to find out that this thing works well.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're in a similar situation I was in when I decided to get the jr. At the time I just wanted something to control my heaters and dosing pumps. I've since changed to the DOS for my dosing so the outlets on my jr controls 2 heaters, return pump and skimmer. Plus I've got the temperature & ph probe. So far I've been happy with my decision on the jr but I'm not one that has to have everything controlled by the same system. My ato, lights and pumps are controlled separately and it doesn't really bother me. If you're like me I'd say go for the jr but if you think you might want more control down the road I would just wait and get the full version.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Trey 302. For now I don't see me needing more then the jr. I have the rossmount power heads with controller and the varios 6 circulation pump that has a controller also. The lights are the hydra 26 HD. I feel that for most things you will just set it and for get it. For the most part I don't want a heater to fail and not know it or loss power and skimmer overflow when the power comes back on.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those not using the stock ATO reservoir can you post a picture of what you are using?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back