image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow! This thread is awesome! Just so I can remind myself later, my favorites are on page 1, 4, & 5. All these stands look so good!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well would u be willing to do a instructional video of how to do it?

Well I have no plans to do any similar cutouts anytime soon, and I have a construction business that taxes most of my time, and it's the last thing I want to do w/ what little free time I have left.
I rarely build anything for myself for this reason.
That octo cutout was especially tedious and time absorbing, it may be hard to see in pics but there are 91 suckers, all had to be carved out moving my jigsaw sideways back and forth, and every one had to be sanded, a LOT, tightly rolled sandpaper, probably 100 strokes each one to make clean.
I will most likely never make another one.
There are plenty of youtube vids that may help you, and I will say I favor a bosch jigsaw as having the best and tightest control and blade guide, and I prefer my older 1587 model for anything like this.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the cabinet that I built. The beam, doors and counter are made from reclaimed barn wood. Feel free to PM me with questions. Thanks for looking.

Here is a FTS Including the beam which came out of a 150 year old barn in Penn.​

Another FTS​

Before water went in - You can see how the counter turned out. The counters use to be barn floors, in the same barn the beam came from. I left the boards with heavy distressing.​

This is SO one of my very favorite cabinet builds right here!
I think it's one thing to build a nice cabinet that shines, but another to keep it from outshining the tank itself, as that is the star attraction, the cabinet frames the pretty "picture" perfectly w/out drawing attention from it, and then later your eyes travel and discover the details that make this a truly remarkable and unique build.
I also love that simple raw beam the lights hang from too.
Top notch!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could totally envision the "All-In-One-Stand"....Fragging station on one side, table on the other, electrical area on inside, draws, hanging hooks on the inside doors for nets etc....I could see a company picking it up and selling at a premium!
They do. It's called Red Sea

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked as a carpenter for a number of years, so I can really appreciate all the detail and time that has been put into these really fantastic stands. Our house is contemporary though, so I chose a contemporary style stand for my tanks.

Here is the old tank, a standard 50-gallon
June 4 2015 2.jpg

Here's the new tank, a custom 36x21x21" (obviously not as good of a photo haha)
Nov%2022%202015%203.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back