Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful job!

wntsom4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our built in 180 gallon the canopy is removable all around the tank for access. Was a buying point when we found this place!

image.jpeg

Bar side

image.jpeg

Front side

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked as a carpenter for a number of years, so I can really appreciate all the detail and time that has been put into these really fantastic stands. Our house is contemporary though, so I chose a contemporary style stand for my tanks.

Here is the old tank, a standard 50-gallon
June 4 2015 2.jpg

Here's the new tank, a custom 36x21x21" (obviously not as good of a photo haha)
Nov%2022%202015%203.jpg

Both photos look really nice. Love the color of the light and the rockscape

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine and I our building a stand for my 90 gallon cube.
Due to both our time constraints this project has been going on for a while now.

Step One: The drawing. Took two days of measuring, remeasuring followed by measuring before first piece was cut for the stand:

20160715_095839.jpg

End view:

20160823_134737.jpg

Front with one more piece of hardwood being left to cut:

20160824_130457.jpg

Corner view:

20160824_181151.jpg

Left front panel done:

20160825_124434.jpg

Right front panel done:

20160825_131129.jpg

Hardware style being used for removal of front, and both sides:

20160825_152020.jpg

1" thin wall tubing frame. Distressed Oak hardwood flooring frame skin. Vertex controller inset into stand. Entire inside of stand is lined with PVC. Has a 3 inch PVC flood pan built in that uses a 2.5 inch union glued and sealed into pan wit 1 foot extension going through my floor so any major flood drains into my crawl space (thus saving my hardwood flooring). Front and both sides are removable.
It's been a long road but almost there.
We have a slab of black granite that was left over from one of his construction projects. The slab is at a cutter right now being cut to size to use for top.
Already installed floor joist reinforcement structure. When done and tank is full I expect it to weigh over 1300 pounds.

Last edited:

Mrwilcox281

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! That's one spectacular tank.

Here is the cabinet that I built. The beam, doors and counter are made from reclaimed barn wood. Feel free to PM me with questions. Thanks for looking.

Here is a FTS Including the beam which came out of a 150 year old barn in Penn.​

Another FTS​

Before water went in - You can see how the counter turned out. The counters use to be barn floors, in the same barn the beam came from. I left the boards with heavy distressing.​

Here is a close up of the doors. The doors were made from barn fencing that came from Kentucky. All 4 doors can be removed to make maintenance easier.

Here is a shot with the front doors removed. I used 2x8 headers across the top to avoid a center beam. Makes access to the sump very easy.​

Here is a shot with all the doors removed and the trap door that conceals my cords​

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Bear with me. I'm a bit new at Reef2Reef and figuring out how to post pics. I realize they're out of sequence. This pic is the cabinet that sits on the opposite side of the wall from the tank. It holds the RO reservoir, saltwater reservoir, balling solution reservoir and dosing pumps.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These are the dosing cabinet, different angles to show the features. One recurring theme you'll see -- which seems to be the case with all of my tank builds -- is that cable management is the last task I turn to. Haven't quite gotten to it yet.

The idea behind this cabinet is to take advantage of an angle stop in the wall between the tank and this cabinet. I have an RO/DI system under the tank that fills the left reservoir in this cabinet. From there, it's plumbed to fill the salt reservoir or the 3-part balling reservoir. I just push one of the buttons on the brass bar in the top right and it fills. The top dosing pump doses the balling 3-parts. The second dosing computer does daily small water changes pumping from the salt reservoir into the sump on the other side of the wall. Another channel pulls water from the sump and dumps it in a drain in the wall as well.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see the left side of the cabinet under the stand with the RO/DI system, an Arka 4-channel doser for the KZ 4-part coral supplement and a 10 gallon refugium.

image.jpeg

Right side showing sump and main line plumbing:
image.jpeg

This is one of my favorite features. Each side of the tank has a hidden panel that opens up like a garage. This side houses a vortech pump, Apex control display and a home-made set of buttons. One is to activate LEDs in the canopy. One is for the sump lights and one activates a feed mode.
image.jpeg

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These are the dosing cabinet, different angles to show the features. One recurring theme you'll see -- which seems to be the case with all of my tank builds -- is that cable management is the last task I turn to. Haven't quite gotten to it yet.

The idea behind this cabinet is to take advantage of an angle stop in the wall between the tank and this cabinet. I have an RO/DI system under the tank that fills the left reservoir in this cabinet. From there, it's plumbed to fill the salt reservoir or the 3-part balling reservoir. I just push one of the buttons on the brass bar in the top right and it fills. The top dosing pump doses the balling 3-parts. The second dosing computer does daily small water changes pumping from the salt reservoir into the sump on the other side of the wall. Another channel pulls water from the sump and dumps it in a drain in the wall as well.

Can you share where you got those reservoir and the size of them??? Need something bigger that the 1.5 gallon from BRS that fits underneath my tank.

Thanks in advance...

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share where you got those reservoir and the size of them??? Need something bigger that the 1.5 gallon from BRS that fits underneath my tank.

Thanks in advance...

So the two white reservoirs are from Plastic-Mart: http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/2460/20-gallon-upright-rectangle-flat-bottom-tank-sp0020-om

The 3-part container is a custom build I had done by Advanced Acrylics (great service and quality): http://advancedacrylics.com/

Very happy with both.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back