Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gustavo Martinez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love, love all of the awesome custom work.... I cant wait to post some of my pics as soon as I start on my 55 gallon reef Hex build.... Thanks for the inspiration folks....

mjk250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few pictures of my stands. the 300 cube was the first stand, the the 700, then the 1600 viv, then the small viv unit.

WOW :cool:, that is an awesome looking set-up there. I agree very museum like for sure

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, still trying to figure out what color I want to stain it, trying to figure out how to darken the grain and stain the rest a grey.

If you really want the grain to be darker than the rest of the stained wood, you can spray the stand with a dye. The dye penetrates the grain very well. Depending on the lightness of the stained wood, you may need to re-sand the stand to remove whatever dye resides on the wood's surface. It's an added step to the finishing process, but it does have great looking results.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want the grain to be darker than the rest of the stained wood, you can spray the stand with a dye. The dye penetrates the grain very well. Depending on the lightness of the stained wood, you may need to re-sand the stand to remove whatever dye resides on the wood's surface. It's an added step to the finishing process, but it does have great looking results.

I keep looking at dyes, I really like the idea of dying vs staining.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-...ains-dyes/water-based-dye-stains#.V-8exDKZPsk

was thinking of using this in grey...

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned something new dying vs staining idea.

I keep looking at dyes, I really like the idea of dying vs staining.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-...ains-dyes/water-based-dye-stains#.V-8exDKZPsk

was thinking of using this in grey...

I should elaborate a bit...

Using a dye normally adds a process to finishing your wood; not necessarily replacing the staining process.
The pigment in the dye is very small and penetrates deeper into the grain of the wood. Thus the color isn't as bold and even as you find with stains. A dye is normally applied with a HVLP sprayer so that it has a more even application. You treat the dye like an undercoat to your stain as it will help darken your stain color a bit; especially in open grained woods. After you apply the dye and let it dry, you apply your stain as you normally would do. The larger pigments in the stain are what will fill in the pores of the wood and give you the change in color that you expect.
If you try using a dye, I recommend practicing on some scrap material until you feel familiar with achieving the look you're after. Since the dye penetrates deep into the grain, it's a bit more work to sand out the color if you go too dark.

Now granted... You can use a dye without applying a coat of stain.
If you apply the dye with a brush or rag, you will end up applying a greater amount of dye so that you virtually fill in every pore and the wood becomes a solid color.
If you apply the dye with a sprayer and forego the stain, you will end up with a rustic natural look depending on how much dye is applied.

All-in-all, how one goes about dyeing and staining any wood is completely up to each individual. It's just another form of artistic impression.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided upon general finish oil based gel grey still playing with a piece of scrap to decide how dark I want to go.

But based on what you are saying, I can use a dye to help darking the light grain ? I'll snap a pic tomorrow of one coat on oak.

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 90 gallon stand and canopy (work in progress)

20161002_141541.jpg

20161001_153822.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back