Show off your stand and sump combo!

Chelsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I'm really interested to see some stands that incorporate showing off the 'guts' of your tanks. If you have those neon sumps or baffles or just plain beautiful plumbing let's see it! I'm looking to get a stand built and need some ideas on how to show the sump while having it be organized and presentable.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go:
IMG_8124.JPG

IMG_8441.JPG
IMG_7961.JPG

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go:
IMG_8124.JPG

IMG_8441.JPG
IMG_7961.JPG
Thats a great set up. I am looking to set one up myself and this is really cool. I was wondering what is in front of the valve on the very right, and what the valve itself was for?

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a quick connect for a garden hose. The valve is to make routine water changes a snap at under 5 minutes.... I close the return pump valve and open that red valve which pumps the contents of my sump to waste.

Then I have a long hose on my mixing station... I flip a switch and start to refill the sump. Done.
IMG_0001.jpg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a quick connect for a garden hose. The valve is to make routine water changes a snap at under 5 minutes.... I close the return pump valve and open that red valve which pumps the contents of my sump to waste.

Then I have a long hose on my mixing station... I flip a switch and start to refill the sump. Done.
IMG_0001.jpg

That is really cool actually. I think I will try to implement something similar to my new design. I conveniently have a porch off my room which I usually drop the water off the back of, with this I would be able to just do what you do with the hose and just watch it go to a level and then re fill it. Do you shut off any of the other valves when this is done? Is your pump always running it just switches the destination it goes to? Does anything get shut off whilst this happens? Like do you stop your overflow? I am new to sumps and kinda am overwhelmed with the thought of another 1/3 my tank load flowing and am unsure how the pipes work and whatnot. It seems that you can have a return piping setup be different lengths yet still have equal flow? I guess I was think of doing one vertical post with two splitters off the end of it.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really cool actually. I think I will try to implement something similar to my new design. I conveniently have a porch off my room which I usually drop the water off the back of, with this I would be able to just do what you do with the hose and just watch it go to a level and then re fill it. Do you shut off any of the other valves when this is done? Is your pump always running it just switches the destination it goes to? Does anything get shut off whilst this happens? Like do you stop your overflow? I am new to sumps and kinda am overwhelmed with the thought of another 1/3 my tank load flowing and am unsure how the pipes work and whatnot. It seems that you can have a return piping setup be different lengths yet still have equal flow? I guess I was think of doing one vertical post with two splitters off the end of it.

Yes. I have a second feed program on my Apex which is for water changes. I tap a button on my phone and it shuts down my return pump, skimmer, reactors and ATO for a specified period of time. Once the overflows stop draining into the sump, I close the return pump valve that goes to the tank and open the red valve. Then I turn only the return pump back on via the Apex fusion app and it pumps the contents of the sump out through an attached hose to waste. Once thats done, I just refill the sump with fresh SW To a fill line I have marked on the sump.
Afterwards, I open the Apex fusion app and tap cancel on my feed program which turns my return pump back on. The program knows to wait 5 minutes to let water levels stabilize and then it automatically kicks back on the skimmer, reactors and ATO.

This is just for routine, run of the mill water changes. Every once in a while, I still need to to it the old fashioned way and siphon into my brute pail... this way I can vacuum the sand bed etc. Additionally, sometimes in the middle of a routine water change, I break out the shop vac and suck out and gunk that has found its way into the sump, change socks etc.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA 150 build coming soon in the mean time, I have completed my 50 gallon saltwater mixing station that has a BRS 6 stage RODI with a Dual Membrane and a #Aquatech Booster pump.
I just need to finish up my Wire management and it will done. I am just waiting on my new Synergy CL-44 sump and then I will be starting a new build thread for the SCA Rimless 150.

50 gallon Mixing Station / a Salinity Pinpoint monitor / Inkbird temp controller incl - a VarioS4 Return pump. Also, I have my @GHL #MaxiSA doser for my AWC's .
My Mixing Station.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back