Show us your "Ghost" or "Shadow" style overflow plumbing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would love to see some member photos of how you plumbed your Ghost or Shadow overflow or that same style overflow. Looking for shots of the inside and outside!

N3PWV9b.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1f3bcce3b2524fe15f3199568ab8beb9.jpg

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. Thinking of selling my Lifereef overflow that I've never used for one of these

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are from when the tank was first being set up over a year ago, plumbing goes to the basement now:

20151114_200833_zpshz19ap7j.jpg

20151113_210822_zpsutc35asw.jpg

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed my order for the shadow overflow with the drill bit :). My tank is somewhat similar when it comes to the plastic bracing around it...Is your water level above the black trim that wraps around the tank?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are from when the tank was first being set up over a year ago, plumbing goes to the basement now:

20151114_200833_zpshz19ap7j.jpg

20151113_210822_zpsutc35asw.jpg

Why do you have one air line drilled in one and not the other?

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have one air line drilled in one and not the other?

One of the elbows is drilled, so that it does not become a full-siphon unless it is submerged. I removed the airline since then. It works completely silently when I have it tuned correctly. One downside is that because the sump is in the basement, if I make any adjustments, I have to run up and down stairs to correct it, unless I can convince my daughter to help me.

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
straight stand pipes not glued in outer box
IMG_8622.JPG
hey john... heheheh are you running only 1 return line line back in tank?
I'm still not happy with my 40b setup...just need to dial a few more things in...
I got a pair of baby clowns like maybe 1in in length...and these things don't want to swim around...maybe its the clowns....lol
anyway was going to make a couple posts today on here about a couple things...will yell at ya on my other ghost thread...lol

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple quick pics of how we plumb the shadow.

l04aIHvl.jpg

oT6GXnVl.jpg

KJV7qq6l.jpg

Is it best to plumb those straight to sump without any bends or elbows? Also, does it matter if they are plumbed to 1.5 inch drains or 1 inch drains on the sump?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to plumb those straight to sump without any bends or elbows? Also, does it matter if they are plumbed to 1.5 inch drains or 1 inch drains on the sump?
Elbows and 45's don't hurt anything as bad on the drains. Not like return plumbing where it causes head loss with elbows. So you can pretty much plumb it as needed. The overflow is going to run quieter when plumbed with 1.5" all the way to the sump. This is why we design all of our sumps to accommodate 1.5" drains. You can reduce them down to 1" though.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple quick pics of how we plumb the shadow.

l04aIHvl.jpg

oT6GXnVl.jpg

KJV7qq6l.jpg

So which is the correct way the bulkheads go in the box? Mine came with the head facing outside but in this picture I see it's the opposite? I would think the head facing outside is better as you wouldn't have to cut the pvc to replace the bulkhead? Or the method in this picture only for the Shadow unit and not the older version?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which is the correct way the bulkheads go in the box? Mine came with the head facing outside but in this picture I see it's the opposite? I would think the head facing outside is better as you wouldn't have to cut the pvc to replace the bulkhead? Or the method in this picture only for the Shadow unit and not the older version?

You can use this method for the old models as well. To answer your question about the bulkhead orientation, they need to be flipped after you received it. We reverse them for shipping so they fit in the shipping box. The smooth side should be inside the rear box and the nut on the outside bottom.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this method for the old models as well. To answer your question about the bulkhead orientation, they need to be flipped after you received it. We reverse them for shipping so they fit in the shipping box. The smooth side should be inside the rear box and the nut on the outside bottom.
So if I set mine up already with how it came in the box will I have issues long term?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I set mine up already with how it came in the box will I have issues long term?

No you shouldn't have any issues. If it is running fine now it will be perfectly fine. The only reason to flip them is to allow for the inside plumbing to be lower in the box. Some flow rates require this to be quiet.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you shouldn't have any issues. If it is running fine now it will be perfectly fine. The only reason to flip them is to allow for the inside plumbing to be lower in the box. Some flow rates require this to be quiet.

K so that explains perfectly why I had to lower my flow rate to be super low so the setup would stay quiet. I'll send a PM to keep the thread clear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back