Show us your "Ghost" or "Shadow" style overflow plumbing!

ryan32.rc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple quick pics of how we plumb the shadow.

l04aIHvl.jpg

oT6GXnVl.jpg

KJV7qq6l.jpg
1"or 1-1/2?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dis thred needs mo pics!!! :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NIce job!

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Rick at Synergy and his wonderful wife for this. Here is my Ghost overflow all plumbed up.

IMG_1185_zpscqloiel8.jpg

IMG_1242_zpsopsrtmcp.jpg

Is that an overflow running from your fuge back to the return pump? Was that something that Synergy did custom or did you install that? You've got a beautiful sump setup. What's your overall length and water volume?

CoralIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an overflow running from your fuge back to the return pump? Was that something that Synergy did custom or did you install that? You've got a beautiful sump setup. What's your overall length and water volume?

Yes, the fuge has a custom overflow with a magnetic face to allow for easy maintenance. This was also made by @mixer911 (Rick) at synergy reef.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy there,
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I am curious about the height of the return lines in the tank. Should they be higher, equal or lower than the fins in the siphon box? I have not drilled the returns yet and wanted to find out what the opimal would be. I have a black rim stock 37 gal tank which i have mounted the overflow box at the top of the inside of the tank.
Thanks for the guidance in advance.
Smitty

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where mine is at right now tagging along to see what to do
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to raise up the water level in my tank could I make the primary drain 3.5 instead of 2.5 and the secondary drain 5.5 instead of 4.5?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to raise up the water level in my tank could I make the primary drain 3.5 instead of 2.5 and the secondary drain 5.5 instead of 4.5?

Hey Justin! Since I answered this via email for you, I still want to answer it here incase anyone else has this question.

This answer is:
No, the rear plumbing does not affect the inside tank water level. This is only affected by where the overflow is installed inside the tank. Also more water flow can raise the level as well. Just install it as per the installation video and your water level will be perfect.

The exterior plumbing pipe sizes will be determined by your water flow to make it quiet, it does not affect the interior level. We give you those sizes as a starting point and you may need to slightly modify them for your setup. Do not glue the inside pipes to the overflow or the U-pipes.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Justin! Since I answered this via email for you, I still want to answer it here incase anyone else has this question.

This answer is:
No, the rear plumbing does not affect the inside tank water level. This is only affected by where the overflow is installed inside the tank. Also more water flow can raise the level as well. Just install it as per the installation video and your water level will be perfect.

The exterior plumbing pipe sizes will be determined by your water flow to make it quiet, it does not affect the interior level. We give you those sizes as a starting point and you may need to slightly modify them for your setup. Do not glue the inside pipes to the overflow or the U-pipes.

Well I'm sorry I didn't realize that was you on here thanks for all the info here and in the email

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm sorry I didn't realize that was you on here thanks for all the info here and in the email

No need to apologize, totally fine. Email is usually quicker for us and I just happened to see this post so I answered while it was fresh in my head. Glad to help anytime!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size returns are everyone using? I'm thinking of drilling dual returns for a 36x18x20 tank.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Rick at Synergy and his wonderful wife for this. Here is my Synergy Reef overflow all plumbed up.

IMG_1185_zpscqloiel8.jpg

IMG_1242_zpsopsrtmcp.jpg

Wow, never thought I'd be jealous of someone's overflow and sump system until just now, thanks for raising the bar and giving me something to shoot for in the future!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size returns are everyone using? I'm thinking of drilling dual returns for a 36x18x20 tank.
Well what return pump/pumps are u going to be using make it off of that not what everyone else is doing.

But in saying that if u made the return bulkheads 1 1/4 that would take care of 1 1-4 1 and 3/4 inch returns

Me personally am going over the top thru two sea swirls

Good luck

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back