Sick Wyoming White from MACNA Help

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we won this Wyoming White from Ocean Gallery at their MACNA booth and found it to be sick once we got home. We're not sure how long it's been sick before we got him.

We've been treating him for 2 weeks now for white cottony growths on his top fin and tail fin, along with other white spots on his body which is hard to see from pics since he's mostly white as is. We assumed these were parasites so we started with Formalin and he only got worse.

Wednesday we started using cupramine after using carbon to get any left over Formalin out of the quarantine tank.

We found him on bottom of the tank this morning, he started swimming near the top of the tank when I shot this video. He started showing signs of pop eye yesterday and you can see how he swims on his side. My fiance ended up putting melafix in there along with another dose of copper.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH7-Hlc57w[/youtube]

Sorry for the crappy video, my video camera doesn't like focusing on close things apparently. The first picture in the video is from the night we put him in the tank and you can see the growths pretty clearly, well as clearly as you can from my blurry shots. Then the next two pictures are from a couple days later, the growths are bigger.

So he's only getting worse, and we're not sure what to do. Any ideas?

OP
OP
kev2me

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Also, here's a couple larger pics in case the video is too small:

Day 0:
Wyoming_White.jpg

Day 3:
Wyoming_White_02.jpg

Wyoming_White_03.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add an airstone in when you had the Formulin in there?

It depletes the oxygen like you wouldn't believe. That can also make him appear even sicker.

I would have just done hypo - (lowered the salinity)

Nuking the water like that is just like doing Chemo - it is pretty harsh and should be used in only the dire of cases.

OP
OP
kev2me

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an airstone in there along with a sponge filter, so there should plenty of oxygen in the water.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this wyoming like feeding so feed him 2-3 times a day with well crush pellets and if you could dip them in garlic or vitamin c like zona says it will help his Imunne system and hopfully come back to life

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would think he got stressed and became sick after all the moving around. I would immediately get him in some non-treated water. That copper has to be really doing a number on him.

On a side note, I have lost more fish QT'ing them in copper and for other reasons than I ever have just keeping the fish fed well.

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the freshwater dip with room temp RO water. and Hypo if nessessary. Definately add some garlic to food and or water. I acctually have a little piece of organic garlic(1/8 of a clove) in my sump for the QT tank. has done wonders with sick or stressed fish.

Wish you luck

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev's fiance here. We got a lot of help from an experienced fish illiness person. Turns out he has the lympho virus. And he had a secondary infection (pop eye). We have treated him for several weeks with gram- antibiotics for the pop eye, but he didn't respond. It got continuously worse and I'm sad to say that we lost him today.

It absolutely sucks that our "prize" turned out to be a charity case. We got so attached trying to get the little guy through this. And yes... the company did go to this specific tank and pick out this specific fish when we went to pick up our winnings. The owner guy actually stopped the guy who was bagging our fish and pulled him away to get this fish. I have no doubt he was sick when he came out of that tank.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:(m Bummer! Sorry..

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had mine ordered directly from c quest. never hit a stores water and i lost one of my pair. one day he was eating the next swimming in circles... very sensitive fish. i will eventually buy another one to get a pair but am very scared to pick one up. the store that brought them for me also brought several picassos and lost them all the same way. eating like pigs and then the next day dead. i think its something in there water or the way they package them. stresses the crap out of them

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our local fish stores has ordered from cquest a few times and it always seem like half of their stuff always dies. He finally just started ordering from ORA. He said that they are a little more expensive but he has'nt lost one yet. I'm sure you guys are aware but ORA carries the platinum clowns that are very similar to the wyoming clowns. They always seem to come into the store bigger than the wyomings also.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back