Simplest way to clean up a cut?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be making a small tank for a wedding centerpiece (tank will be supporting the wedding cake.)

Quite comfy working with acrylic, but I've never had to worry about exceptionally clean work, as most of what I've done has been sumps/fuges, or commercial application stuff.

So after cutting and gluing up, what's the best way to clean up the cut edges? I'm not worried about making things perfect, but more perfect than less perfect would be preferable.

Cutting will be on a table saw for the most part, I know a lot recommend routers but I've always preffered the saw cuts, so just going with what I know instead of experimenting on a significant project (especially one with a deadline :xd: )

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something like that just sand it with a da sander if Ya got one with some 320 and hit it with the torch real quick to
Polish her up... Btw I do not recommend flame polishing ever it stresses the acrylic very badly and can lead to premature failure fwiw... But in this case go for it!!!

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something like that just sand it with a da sander if Ya got one with some 320 and hit it with the torch real quick to
Polish her up... Btw I do not recommend flame polishing ever it stresses the acrylic very badly and can lead to premature failure fwiw... But in this case go for it!!!

I think most people screw this up by not sanding through the grit #'s and then aggressively applying the torch. Just out of curiosity do any manufacturers do annealing on acrylic tanks or skimmers that you know of?

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people screw this up by not sanding through the grit #'s and then aggressively applying the torch. Just out of curiosity do any manufacturers do annealing on acrylic tanks or skimmers that you know of?

Never on skimmers... Big manufactures do on the big tanks but not any mass produced ones that I know of... They don't really need it honestly it's good for bringing Weldon 40/42 up to full strength but something any one us would have In our house is never gonna need it... Alone I think solvents and 40/42 without being annealed are rated at like 2500psi that is way more than any tank is gonna ever experience.... Hth...

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never run a torch before for acrylic-what gas is best and any quick rundown on it? I'll give it a go with some scrap pieces first, but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, are you thinking I won't need to run through a bunch of grits? Just do a quick sand-off of any roughness, hit the 320, then apply the torch?

Not too worried about structural integrity, tank is only going to be maybe 6 inches of water max in height, just want to make sure I can get it as clean as possible, though of course don't want to cause expansion and get cracks showing.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya 320 alone is fine... Get a map gas torch if at all possible it's cleaner than propane but either will work... Keep the flame off the acrylic you want just the heat and move down the edge at a nice steady pace like a inch a second or so... There is prolly tons of YouTube videos showing if ya wann check them out.. The vids will help ya more than I can through words lol...

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya 320 alone is fine... Get a map gas torch if at all possible it's cleaner than propane but either will work... Keep the flame off the acrylic you want just the heat and move down the edge at a nice steady pace like a inch a second or so... There is prolly tons of YouTube videos showing if ya wann check them out.. The vids will help ya more than I can through words lol...

Nah, that's all I needed, just a rough guideline and a few pieces of scrap to experiment on.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try and get pics put up of the finished product-at the least it'll be interesting; tank will have some damsels and chromis, some random hardy corals, some LED's, then the tank's lid will actually be supporting the cake, with granulated sugar spread over the tank lid to give the imitation of white sand, with a 3 tiered cake on top of it all. Will either turn out nice, or pretty bad, I'm hoping on nice :squigglemouth:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea... I wish I had an aquarium wedding cake. Be sure to post pics once you're done!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back