Skimmer produces no foam

jjreed220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my 75gal tank with a 20 gal sump running about a month with about 60 lbs of dry rock, one 2lb of live rock and one 10 lb bag of live sand. My skimmer produces lots of tiny bubbles but no foam in the cup. There is a thin layer of beige slime within the body of the skimmer. There is Is this normal?

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the collection cup while the skimmer is running? Are you sure the water level is set high enough?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you need to adjust your water level up some. Where does the little bubbles turn into bigger bubbles? In the neck or the body?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run into this from time to time on my HOB skimmer.
I usually just adjust the skimmer cup (lower it) to let the bubbles travel further up the tube.
It could be low bioload or it just needs tuned in better. Youll get it-just keep adjusting :)

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have any livestock producing waste you are not going to get any skimate. The film you are getting now is the skimmer pulling out fine debris and maybe some waste from live sand.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have any livestock producing waste you are not going to get any skimate. The film you are getting now is the skimmer pulling out fine debris and maybe some waste from live sand.
LOL I didnt think to ask if there was anything producing waste :rolleyes:

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it overflowing? Have you adjusted water levels / air?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back