OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the same pump on all three alpha 170 200 and 250 from what I gather. Its the pinwheel in the 170 that is smaller that helps detune it.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mojo. I need your expertise my friend. I'm currently running an ATI BM160 on a medium bioload 120. What would be th best bang for the buck skimmer for me? The ATI is skimming really well but like all reefers I just want more oomph. Only thing is my skimmer section is limited as it is a mere 12x13 so I know it doesn't leave me with many options

so what do you think? Should I stick with the ATI or go with something better?

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no ad if you see something that catches your eye just let us know. I am sure between myself, gadgets and CSMguy someone should be able to help you out.

Mojo~

I think that Tunze should work perfect actually. I was hoping to spend around $100 since I dont need anything big but the feedback on the Tunze is great plus it has a really small footprint. I have a guy local thats great with acrylic and helped me with my current sump, I think Im going to have him make a custom sump to fit in the biocube stand. Heres a pic of the stand-alone chambers he made for my rubbermaid w/ an Octo X 200.

moresumproom005.jpg

moresumproom002.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mojo. I need your expertise my friend. I'm currently running an ATI BM160 on a medium bioload 120. What would be th best bang for the buck skimmer for me? The ATI is skimming really well but like all reefers I just want more oomph. Only thing is my skimmer section is limited as it is a mere 12x13 so I know it doesn't leave me with many options

so what do you think? Should I stick with the ATI or go with something better?
Well the ATI was one of the hottest skimmers out for a short while. However they were some what plagued by being made of thinner material and breaking in shipping.
The ATI is still a good skimmer, But for a 120I would look at a bk mini 180 gen 2, an ATB 840, a warner marine as 200 or a k2. The vertex in 180 would also be a good fit. The real question is if you just want a new skimmer or one worth the money spent. The ati is using a sicce pump and does a good job. ome of the newer designs will be more effecient. But is it worth the added cost? Thats really up to you.Depending on what you want to spend. I would say your ati will skim as well as the vertex skimmer. But after that you will start seeing some improvements in performance with the atb, BK and WM skimmers. Butthey will all cost more. Sorry if i didnt directly answer your question but most people dont already have a good skimmer. most have none. lol or a real piece of chorizo. lol.
So yes you will gain some performance but not in a budget skimmer.

Mojo~

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response Mojo. With all the skimmers you suggested, Would they all fit in my space limited skimmer area of only 12x13?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATB 840 and the bk should fit in that area. But the bk mini is $999. Awesome skimmer and its so easy to use.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ll have to get some action shos of the 170 up here soon. probably tomorrow.

Mojo~

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any links for doing the mesh mod to the sicce psk-2500? My skimmer came with the needed stuff but I have just been running it stock.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a link reefspecialty used to have but I cant seem to find it.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find the link, If not let me know and I can talk you through it.

Mojo~

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is one suppose to clean the actual beckett on a beckett skimmer? Also with the beckett skimmer is it essential to keep the cup and the neck clean?

Eric

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends, you always want them to be clean. I would say once month would be best. But I am sure you could go from there mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a little video of my alpha 170. still pretty new and I need to take a look at the nozzles.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37 watts, I thought the power factor should be higher? Not sure what it is suppose to be.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm... so your Alpha 170 pulls about 30-32SCFH (ignoring the bounce)? 38W at 32SCFH?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back