Skimmer Q&A Thread

GSMguy

High Desert Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jessie power factor is a measure of efficency my mini airstar runs 34scfh at26w with a PF of .48, the airstar 1300 pulls 60scfh at 54w with a PF of .58.

Your pump RD1000 is around .26 right?

The reason I'm interested is I have asked ATB to build me this airstar 1000 pump for Months but Anton says that when the power factor is that low it will burn the pump up this was confirmed to me thru another manufacturer.

buck50bmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PF that low is very waste full. You are still drawing the rated amperes but the motor is only doing the work of the powerfactor.

Capacitors can be used to correct powerfactor, but thats only helping the power company.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a while since I had that in school. We actually ran some compressor motors with a pf of 1.25 to get the hp we needed out of the size we had room for.
I just couldnt remember. Seems like the pump could do way more. the body is a bit small and the neck is a bit large. So hmm. what to do. its actually working ok right now. I was told I had too small of a input on my meter and its the same size inlet as what is on the silencer. What? do I look new? lol. I have done this a time or two. lol.
Good luck fellas. Well built skimmer but i will have to run it for a while before it gets my thumbs up.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading, anything over 1300lph will create micro bubbles leaving the skimmer.

twisted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! there is alot of good stuff in here! my question is- its good to have a good protien skimmer, but is there a time when you are over skimming? taking too much out?

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! there is alot of good stuff in here! my question is- its good to have a good protien skimmer, but is there a time when you are over skimming? taking too much out?

From what I have read, not really. But inefficient, yeah. Your skimmer protiens out of the water. So there is a point where a skimmer is just not running efficiently (using more space and power than needed to do the job).
Mojo might have a more educated answer though.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mojo when you test out skimmers what do you look for? Also do you test the skimmate?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i have the Biocube Skimmer and it was okay at best for a while but it looks like i am getting a sump to add an extra 13 gallons below....so now i will have 42 gallons....i am looking into the tunze 2002 and a EuroReef custom one....which do you think would be better or would you suggest a different one all together??? I'll get the dimensions of the sump as soon as to help decide.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-I just got a 40 breeder tank that will be a mixed reef. A cpr bakpak came with it. Any thoughts on this combination?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, not really. But inefficient, yeah. Your skimmer protiens out of the water. So there is a point where a skimmer is just not running efficiently (using more space and power than needed to do the job).
Mojo might have a more educated answer though.

When your skimmer is too large it will have a large neck as well. You simply wont get the organics needed to make the foam head to fill the neck or it will take some time. So you get sludge in the neck and never in the cup. just not the ideal setup.
Try to size accordingly so you dont wast your hard earned $$ on something you dont need.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mojo when you test out skimmers what do you look for? Also do you test the skimmate?

I look at build quality, performance, customer service, ease of use, and bag for your buck.

I also want it to be quiet. Just quite a bit to it really. I make sure the skimmer works the way its suppose to. Is there too much flow, too much air, not enough? too much turbulence ect... how efficient is it.

And does the fiance say its pretty. thats most important right?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i have the Biocube Skimmer and it was okay at best for a while but it looks like i am getting a sump to add an extra 13 gallons below....so now i will have 42 gallons....i am looking into the tunze 2002 and a EuroReef custom one....which do you think would be better or would you suggest a different one all together??? I'll get the dimensions of the sump as soon as to help decide.

Honestly I have seen the euroreef nano yet.

But have seen and played with a tunze. Nice little skimmers quiet too. That would be my vote.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-I just got a 40 breeder tank that will be a mixed reef. A cpr bakpak came with it. Any thoughts on this combination?
The cpr I used was kinda loud and didnt work all that well. If you must do a hang on the back I would suggest a deltec, bermuda rogue, or the msx or octo one. cant think of the model off hand. Oh and last but least the Warner marine hx2 is really nice.In sump save a couple buck and get a vertex in 100. It would do a nice job for you.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope that this is helpful. sorry was away on a skimmer rampage for a couple days. Starting to settle down.
Tonight ill have to post pics of my latest toy.shh dont give it away gadgets.....

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope that this is helpful. sorry was away on a skimmer rampage for a couple days. Starting to settle down.
Tonight ill have to post pics of my latest toy.shh dont give it away gadgets.....

My lips are sealed. :D

WilD ReeFer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so Im planning a 125 gallon build. Its going to me mixed reef but will be about 70% sps and a good size bio load. What would you recommend for this set up?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would consider a couple different skimmers if it were me.
MY list of skimmers I would consider would be the following :
WM k2
ATB 840
WM AS 200
MSX 250 or 250A
Vertex IN 180 or maybe even the 280
Bk mini 180 gen 2 if you want to drop some $$
and maybe even the alpha 170 or 200.

If it were my setup those are the ones I would be looking at.
Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have any questions about any model let me know. Chances are I have looked at it.

Mojo~

iunknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a weird one. Any skimmer recommendations to run inline with a canister filter? Or am I limited to a HOB skimmer?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back