Skimmer Q&A Thread

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, on a sicce-2500 would the purple pin wheel be a better long term solution vs. a mesh mod? I dont want to fool with things too much.

Yup. The mesh wheels are nice, but clog easily and need to be changed more often.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cpr I used was kinda loud and didnt work all that well. If you must do a hang on the back I would suggest a deltec, bermuda rogue, or the msx or octo one. cant think of the model off hand. Oh and last but least the Warner marine hx2 is really nice.In sump save a couple buck and get a vertex in 100. It would do a nice job for you.
So do you think I should sell the CPR and buy something else, perhaps the Octo that you suggested?

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the cpr skimmers good? I have a 26G tank and I don't need anything big, but something useful, and hob. I have very limited space due to my 90G rated HOB filter, heater, powerhead, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest a cpr. I think I would get a coralife super skimmer before a cprHOB. lol. A remora is better but still not great. I would get a little tunze as they can sit inside the tank if need be too. the 9002 is a nice little skimmer.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey bro what do you think of the 9020 Tunze Skimmer?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tunze skimmer work well. Very simple, just work type product. the 9020 is kinda salty unless you get a good deal used.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alpha 200 5 days of skimmate. :D

photo-17.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo-16.jpg

muhnandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-

Any thoughts on MTC HSA skimmers? I found a nice deal on a HSA 250 in sump that I was thinking about running on my 65. Also, it doesn't come with a stock pump so was wondering if you had thoughts on a suitable pump. Thanks for your insights

Andrew

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have to use a higher wattage pump and they are a little more sensitive. The skimmer will move a good amount of water.

I would use a mag 7 on it.

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda had no choice but the cpr bakpak 2. I had VERY limited space and there were only 2 other kinds that would fit, but the kid said they sucked. So far it seems to be doing fine. He said it may take up to a week or so to really start skimming out stuff. I guess I'll have to see. What is usually the problem with cprs?

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 450 display w/ a 100 gal sump. I was thinking of the H&S in sump 250, Reeflo Prokit, & the new Vertex Alpha 300 cone skimmer...Any thoughts ??

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all three would work well. Just depends on budget. The other one to add to your list would be the msx 300A . the reeflo is external but it would not be bad choice. I am just a bigger fan of in sump skimmers.

muhnandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mojo. A couple follow-up questions. I bought this skimmer, but it may be a tad bit too tall. I can probably make it work if necessary. Thinking of selling it and looking into a Vertex, which I know you recommend. My questions are, first, should I make the MTC work if I can or go the Vertex route? Also, are the ratings on the Vertex accurate - meaning would the In-100 be fine for a 65 or would stepping up to the 180 be better? Thanks again

Well you have to use a higher wattage pump and they are a little more sensitive. The skimmer will move a good amount of water.

I would use a mag 7 on it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mojo- Does this work for tank rating scale 4lph/gallon tank volume? As a really simple example, 1000lph air = 250 gallon max tank volume?

At least this "rating" puts some data into the equation, rather then a wild ar$$ guess?

GSMguy

High Desert Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say 600-1000 lph air for every 100 gallons.

the only problem i see is that this assumes that the skimmers all work pretty much evenly.

i dont think that is true really, i say a cone with 600LPH and a well matched neck and body is much more efficient than say a dual pump octo DNW that might pull 800LPH but is not as well balanced.

thats why these GPH or LPH numbers can be arbitrary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, its not just the air draw you need to look at. a sicce pump pulling a 1000lph of air is not the same as a sedra 9000HO pulling a 1000lph of air. THe sedra moves probably twice the water as the sicce. So to say they can handle the same size tank based on air draw would be false. You have to look at the water through put as well as air draw, and last but not least design. THe pump is key. but what the body does with it from there can make or break it. Too large of a neck and you have to run the water level way up into the neck causeing the skimmer to really run less efficient. too small of a neck and its hard to dial in and you have to run the water level really low. if well balanced the skimmer water level should always be just below the neck on a cone or just below the transistion on a cylinder skimmer. This is my opinion and whatI have found to be true with my experience. I dont have some long scientific means behind this. but from past experience if you run the water level way up into the neck you increase turbulance and decrease skimmer performance. If you have to run it really low it just makes the skimmer hard to dial in. imo. usually resulting in microbubbles as well. There isnt really a set # per say. but to say 600- 1000 per 100g of air would be a good starting point. But again you would need to look at water throughput as well. I would be ok per say with a Warner marine AS 200 on a 180g tank. it pulls about 950 to 1000lph of air. but cycles a ton of water. but would I run msx 160 that pulls the same air. Most likely I would not. I could but I would run something that cycled more water.
I hopes this helps.

Mojo~

papap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Vortex in-180 for my 75 gallon tank. Plans are to put it in a 30lL sump soon. what do you think of this skimmer???

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is one of the best bang for the buck skimmers out right now. Nice choice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back