Skimmer Q&A Thread

Xtc_link

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating buying a DC pump and just running it external.

This skimmer has always. taken 2 days to make foam, made foam for a few hours and then stopped till after I clean the neck. 200g+ system volume with 9 fish. 3 of which are 5" tangs. I have a decent bio load for a dirty LPS tank, but this skimmer has always seemed inconsistent

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble magus nac 8 (bm-180)

That's a tough one as the pump is internal. You would have to retrofit something and it may not even be worth the trouble. Sicce 1000 or jebao dc3000 pump may work.

On a 200g tank that thing should pull nog consistently and a lot. You sure the Venturi isn't clogged?

Xtc_link

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one as the pump is internal. You would have to retrofit something and it may not even be worth the trouble. Sicce 1000 or jebao dc3000 pump may work.

On a 200g tank that thing should pull nog consistently and a lot. You sure the Venturi isn't clogged?

Everything is as clean as whistle. It's my first and only skimmer so I have nothing to compair it too. I can replace the atman for 69 off fleabay. I might go that route although the tinkerer in me wants a DC controllable pump :)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you can retrofit a sicce 1000 in there and it would work leaps and bounds better than the atman. Ofcourse you would probably spend 150bux getting the pump, venturi and pvc/plastic to fit in there, which you would be better off just buying a new skimmer at that point. So imo, get the atman or get a new skimmer as those are the only things that make sense. I bet the new atman lasts less than a year and a half though as they are notoriously short life pump's. The atman will perform pretty decent while running though.

Xtc_link

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you can retrofit a sicce 1000 in there and it would work leaps and bounds better than the atman. Ofcourse you would probably spend 150bux getting the pump, venturi and pvc/plastic to fit in there, which you would be better off just buying a new skimmer at that point. So imo, get the atman or get a new skimmer as those are the only things that make sense. I bet the new atman lasts less than a year and a half though as they are notoriously short life pump's. The atman will perform pretty decent while running though.

I live in Florida and we don't have constant power 100% of the time. All my fish equipment is ran threw a battery bank with line conditioners. Not sure if it makes a difference. I picked up the skimmer 4 years ago and it's been a work horse running non stop.

I appreciate your response :).

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into a up grade from my bubble
Coralife 14 29 BioCube Protein Skimmer it was 20.00 bucks and don't do a very good job I have a 50 gal and a small sump "not much room " have a 2 chamber Ehopps sump with a mag supreme doing approx 500 gal per hr and the 2 skimmers in question are a Ehopps PSK 75 or a CAD lights PLS 50 elite Any one have experience in these ? I like the look and feature of the CAD but the Ehopps is matched to my sump it just looks kinda plane ? Ps 150.00 bucks is kinda what I'm looking to spend

Last edited:

beginnerjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a small 30g tank, slightly understocked with 2 damsels, 2 clownfish, six-line wrasse and a dirty back. What do you think would be a good skimmer for my tank?

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few that I have concluded to be Well built the Ehopps and CAD lights is a full acrylic skimmers with good tubes that are thick for Long Jevity of the equipment will need to be cleaned frequent there pumps are mag pumps and have the Needle wheel technology this is just what I have found and what im looking to investing into

volivier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus extreme 300 skimmer with a Super Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster Pump HY-5000S (Options: Union For Extreme Skimmer (+ $35.00) i got rid of the two sicce pumps they kept quiting on me. I bought the bubble master in 2013 april.
Wondering if there is a need to get a different skimmer or update mine somehow? I have a 22o reef tank, sps frags and chalice, approx 260 total water with sump. It doesn't seem to be producing a lot of skimmate for some reason, did after soaked pump but has ebbed off now.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down to 2 skimmers now. 1) Aquamax SQ-2 or (2) Reef octopus 150ss These will be used in a 75g with a heavy bio load and very limited sump space. Which one and why? Other Option considering my restrictions????

Toddp65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a skimmer says it needs to be in 8 to 9 inches of sump water, what does that mean pertaining to the skimmer...where on the body would that height be? Trying to get new Bubble Magnus 3.5 running

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a skimmer says it needs to be in 8 to 9 inches of sump water, what does that mean pertaining to the skimmer...where on the body would that height be? Trying to get new Bubble Magnus 3.5 running

From the bottom of the skimmer to the water level in the sump. You can build a stand to raise the base of the skimmer if that distance is to much.

Toddp65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense.
Right now the skimmer is overflowing like crazy- I forgot I am dosing chemiclean for dinos and cyano... this is probably the reason and I need to wait until they've calmed down prior to breaking in this skimmer which I need for the issues...catch 22... my eshopps died on me

Toddp65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been running the bubble magnus for two days at the max swttibg. It's in about 8 inches of water. It's overflowing like crazy but I'm letting it. Any other setting but MAX makes it worse. I've raised it by hand to see if the foaming over decreases in case I have it too low in the water and it makes no difference. At what point does this settle down?
I dosed chemi clean a few days ago as well. I figured any affects would subside by now. Help...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back