Skimmer Q&A Thread

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know when the Aquamaxx Q series came out there was some issue with the bubble plate not being attached properly. Did they resolve that?

I think I've narrowed down my choices to:
Aquamaxx Q2
Tunze 9410
or picking up one of the surplus Reef Dynamics INS135 skimmers available at aquarium source. http://aquariumsource.com/products/reef-dynamics-in-sump-protein-skimmers They now have Sicce pumps on them. Always loved the ER/RD skimmers, but with them not being made anymore I'm not sure if I want to buy one or not. Who knows what kind of support I'd get if needed.

As for the Tunze, it's super tiny compared to the Aquamaxx or the RD. Can it handle a 120 with 30g sump? I had a Tunze 9005 years ago that I was never happy with, so that gives me pause. But the 9410 though seems to have some fans on this forum.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when the Aquamaxx Q series came out there was some issue with the bubble plate not being attached properly. Did they resolve that?

Aquamaxx Q2
Tunze 9410
or picking up one of the surplus Reef Dynamics INS135 skimmers available at aquarium source. http://aquariumsource.com/products/reef-dynamics-in-sump-protein-skimmers They now have Sicce pumps on them. Always loved the ER/RD skimmers, but with them not being made anymore I'm not sure if I want to buy one or not. Who knows what kind of support I'd get if needed.

As for the Tunze, it's super tiny compared to the Aquamaxx or the RD. Can it handle a 120 with 30g sump? I had a Tunze 9005 years ago that I was never happy with, so that gives me pause. But the 9410 though seems to have some fans on this forum.
IMO it is overall fine. You do have to manually adjust it to be perfectly level (once), but having a little space between it and the bottom of the plate( would be nice, just to simplify it) ( I would not consider this to be a Non -issue) When you balance the sicce pump with price/performance abilities and build quality/reviews Aquamaxx Q2 smashes Tunze easily.:D:D:D:D ( I did get Q2 on sale at marine depot for $300.99 delivered free):p:p:cool::cool::cool::cool:

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man $300 is a steal. I know I'm really regretting not deciding to buy a skimmer last week during the 4th of july sale. I bought my lighting during that time, but hadn't decided on a skimmer. Could have saved some money.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice the deltec is more expensive and has at least two less features than the Aquamaxx Q2. Plus the Q3 is less expensive, not to mention the Q3 surpasses the Deltec 1455 . I have the Q2 on a 75g heavy bio-load mixed reef tank. It's been up for a week and I get both dry and a little wet foam. Oh yah it is super quite too. One has to listen carefully to hear a whisper from this skimmer. Here's one more nicety about AM. , Marinedepot is the main authorized dealer/distributor, plus they have all the parts that you may or may not need in the future sometime. Cool Huh:D:cool::cool: here's the right 1/2 of my tank:

What two features does the Aquamaxx have that the Deltec doesn't? Deltec makes some good equipment. Not that I don't like the Aquamaxx too. The EM300 is a great skimmer that I like a lot.

Aquamaxx Q2
Tunze 9410

Yes, Aquamaxx fixed the plate issue. Yes the Tunze can handle it. All good choices there.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man $300 is a steal. I know I'm really regretting not deciding to buy a skimmer last week during the 4th of july sale. I bought my lighting during that time, but hadn't decided on a skimmer. Could have saved some money.
Been there so many times. I consider myself lucky to trip over the sale at right time. Thanks

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. One can argue bubble plates aren't necessary

2. The handle is a nice touch but shouldn't be a deal breaker

I do agree. For me it was an overall decision that took everything into account (including actual footprint to my restrictions). plus being on sale for $300.99 :D during the 4th of July doesn't hurt. PS: I really like Deltec too.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[...]
Aquamaxx Q2
Tunze 9410
or picking up one of the surplus Reef Dynamics INS135 skimmers available at aquarium source. [...]

Reef Dynamics
I'd be very tempted by the Reef Dynamics too.....I think you can run them with a Tunze Hydrofoamer as well.

Skimmers don't really break down....just the pumps. Seems like there are plenty of options.

The wrinkle is that the skimmer (like any good needlewheel skimmer) was designed for a certain pump....a replacement may be a bit squirrelly/imperfect in one way or another.

Tunze/Aquamaxx
Size...
The Aquamaxx is a cone. Cones have to be bigger (taller and/or bigger diameter) to contain the same water as a cylinder. A smaller body equals less dwell time and less room for water and bubbles!!

BTW, it's cute that every hole in the Aquamaxx's bubble plate has its own private little cone. Isn't putting cones right on the bubble plate taking things a bit too far? :p:D

The Tunze's cup does have to be lifted up a few inches to be removed, so that should get virtually added to the skimmer's height.

If the Tunze and Aquamaxx were the same size, the Aquamaxx would probably only be rated for a 75 gallon. ;) I think the 9005 was rated for about 75 gallons, if I recall correctly.

Features...
I also like the feature set of the Tunze better. Lots of good, utilitarian features, including being easier to clean. Nothing extra to break down.

It's also rated five stars on marine depot, fwiw. ;)

The Tunze 94xx series of skimmers are beasts.

Regarding Tunze and Sicce pumps, this thread should be interesting:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1699195

And if you're still considering options...I'd even suggest looking at an AquaC EV-seriers skimmer.....an EV-120 or EV-180 would do it....might even find one used. These skimmers are also beasts.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ended up totally changing it and getting an Avast Marine Pegleg 180. The notion of building it myself sounded fun, and they are a quality american made product that been around for awhile with a great pump. Plus I couldn't beat the price at $279. I also liked that their new lids are pre-drilled for the swabbie, which I'll probably pick up at some point as well.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All cool.:):) Just as a Nice to know as well. On the Q2 it can be taken all apart, including the body from the base plate.:cool::cool: I do love Tunze products as I have a few now. :D The Q2 was on sale for $300.99 during the 4th holiday so that did make it easier to choice.:D:cool: A little, just. ;):) I learned some more about skimmers here, thanks, All thanks :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool:

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just upgraded to a 65 gallon tank! It came with a sumo which is new to me. I usually just run hang on the back with my nano reefs. Anyway, can I run my skimmer in the same section as my return? It's only a two section sump so I'm not sure where else I can put it... Here is the set up
9e0619e150995c729e31239cd2eec365.jpg

d5cdb2ef655de0537086d7041e3de73a.jpg

62b89245ef529899ebf1b03853c5e72e.jpg

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just upgraded to a 65 gallon tank! It came with a sumo which is new to me. I usually just run hang on the back with my nano reefs. Anyway, can I run my skimmer in the same section as my return? It's only a two section sump so I'm not sure where else I can put it...

Having personally used that skimmer model skimmer before and knowing first hand its deficiencies, I would not run it in the return section. IME with its use, the amount of bubbles exiting the output would give you nothing but trouble, even with the bubble diffuser being used.
My suggestion would be to modify your sump (remove bio-balls) to accommodate a drain and skimmer section, install a baffle to control and stabilize water height which will improved the efficiency and performance of your skimmer.
HIH
Tom

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is a basic... I have a euro reef skimmer in a sump on a 75 gallon tank. It is releasing bubbles into the water column.. and the ability for the bubbles in the body of the skimmer now only descends about 2/3 of the way and my collection is reduced? I have had this set up for 1 year and it worked perfectly but then it production of skimmate reducess. .. I cleaned it and re-set it up... but it still the same gap.. bubbles being released and only 2/3 of the skimmer produces bubbles. What is the remedy? Did my seal break? How do fix?

Megumi05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking around at purchasing a skimmer (probably online or used). The tank isn't that big so I'm going for one that's run by a wood air stone. Now what I keep wondering as I shop around that no can answer is how much does the skimmer need to be submerged in order to work? Does just the air stone need to be completely covered with water or should the water line fall right below where the cup starts, or is half way up the tube of the skimmer ok? Heck can I even partially submerge the cup (I know I'd have to lift the whole thing up then probably to take the cup off for emptying)? I got to make sure if I'm buying online that the thing is going to fit in my tank and there's not much room left on the back of the tank, not to mention that the canopy openings in the back are only so large.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your tank? Is it an "all in one AIO" with a built in sump on the back?

air stone skimmers work but are more trouble than they are worth. That's why the options are few and far between in the market. They are only as consistent as the volume of air being generated and that deteriorates quickly as limestones clog.
if your system is <40 gallons you should be able to export enough nutrients via weekly water changes and avoid having to worry about a skimmer unless you're dead set on trying one.

I would suggest looking at one of the tunze comline in tank if you're dead set on trying one
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...w1rz4eZVVbcNOmX5e2nZtiB5oPM4mQ6TtUaAnCF8P8HAQ

good luck and happy reefing

tivo

Megumi05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeftivo I thought I had mentioned I have a 29G tank. What all types of nutrients do skimmers take out of the water and where all do these excess nutrients come from? Is it just what comes from left over food in the tank because I just spot clean that out in my FW tanks and it does wonders between water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back