Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up though. He can be difficult to get a hold of and expect about 5 weeks to have it made and delivered as he makes them as they are ordered. Email is best way to try and get a hold of him and if you call you may have to let it ring a long time.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I received an AquaMaxx ConeS Q-2 in sump skimmer that I ordered from Marine Depot.
(It'll be replacing the Vertex 180i that I couldn't ever seem to 'dial in'.)

My tank setup is a total of about 100 gallons of water. (+/- 5 gallons)

I'm thinking of breaking it in outside of the sump in a container. Should I use tap water with vinegar, RO/DI water with vinegar, or salt water with vinegar?

How long should I leave it running in an external container to break it in ?

Thanks for any advice, info, or suggestions.

Allen

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally bite the bullet and started using a skimmer, as a skimmer virgin I'm new to this....I know they take awhile to break in but my bubble magus is foaming like crazy. I had to raise the skimmer so it's now sitting in 6" of water and I had to slightly block the vent breather to prevent it foaming everywhere. Currently on setting 3.

I'll post a video once it's uploaded to youtube

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally bite the bullet and started using a skimmer, as a skimmer virgin I'm new to this....I know they take awhile to break in but my bubble magus is foaming like crazy. I had to raise the skimmer so it's now sitting in 6" of water and I had to slightly block the vent breather to prevent it foaming everywhere. Currently on setting 3.

I'll post a video once it's uploaded to youtube

Sounds like its reacting to a chemical in your tank or a really dirty tank : ) When this happens there are a few ways to combat this. One is to raise your skimmer and drain the skimmate, regardless if its clear, the second is to cut back the air and remove the skimmate, regardless if its clear. Generally after 5-10% of your tank water has been removed it will stop. You'll notice the more you pull out the lower the foam head will get until its working normally. Consider it a water change, just a slow one through your skimmer. Sounds like you are doing it correctly, just make sure you remove the skimmate instead of draining it back into your tank.

brahnan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer for innovation marine 40g nuvo fusion that will fit in overflow box besides ghost skimmer?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now my skimmer is struggling to produce skimmate? I've taken the skimmer apart and I can find no blockages or anything amiss???? I've tried to lower it and it makes no difference and I've adjusted the valve which if opens to much just overfills with water.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now my skimmer is struggling to produce skimmate? I've taken the skimmer apart and I can find no blockages or anything amiss???? I've tried to lower it and it makes no difference and I've adjusted the valve which if opens to much just overfills with water.

Which skimmer is it?

Make very small slow adjustments.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running a 100g with 75g sump/ref I am still a little confused on the size i need, do i combined both or go off the main 100g. I know i did have to get stronger pumps and all that to increase me ghp, but the skimmer has me stumped.:confused:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you reefer heads recommend on a 180g... Bubble king is not in the budget lol

Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 or DOC Skimmer 9410 DC. Maybe the 9415 if you think you'll have more tanks on the system or that you'll upgrade to a larger system.

Assuming everything is set up right...

Check the air-intake where the hose connects to the pump to see if there's any blockage – hidden or obvious.

Could also be a worn out impeller.

I will be running a 100g with 75g sump/ref I am still a little confused on the size i need, do i combined both or go off the main 100g. I know i did have to get stronger pumps and all that to increase me ghp, but the skimmer has me stumped.:confused:

I think it's a wash since the 75 gallon is A) not stocked so it will knock down your density rating and B) isn't even close to full, more than likely, so it's not going to contribute as much volume as it seems anyway.

For example, the Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 is the skimmer I'd recommend for that tank. It's rated for a lightly stocked system up to 265 gallons, or a SPS/heavy system up to about 160 gallons. Even adding the full nominal 75 gallons to the 100 gallon display (which is less than 100 if you haven't subtracted for rock, sand, etc.) doesn't chage the skimmer you'd select.....instead of a 100 gallon "heavy" system, you're working with a 175 gallon lightly stocked system.

Clear as mud? ;)

I'd stick with counting tanks that have livestock in them (display, frag tank, etc) and don't worry about accounting for the volume of the sump.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 or DOC Skimmer 9410 DC. Maybe the 9415 if you think you'll have more tanks on the system or that you'll upgrade to a larger system.

Assuming everything is set up right...

Check the air-intake where the hose connects to the pump to see if there's any blockage – hidden or obvious.

Could also be a worn out impeller.

I think it's a wash since the 75 gallon is A) not stocked so it will knock down your density rating and B) isn't even close to full, more than likely, so it's not going to contribute as much volume as it seems anyway.

For example, the Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 is the skimmer I'd recommend for that tank. It's rated for a lightly stocked system up to 265 gallons, or a SPS/heavy system up to about 160 gallons. Even adding the full nominal 75 gallons to the 100 gallon display (which is less than 100 if you haven't subtracted for rock, sand, etc.) doesn't chage the skimmer you'd select.....instead of a 100 gallon "heavy" system, you're working with a 175 gallon lightly stocked system.

Clear as mud? ;)

I'd stick with counting tanks that have livestock in them (display, frag tank, etc) and don't worry about accounting for the volume of the sump.
Yeah I'm going to go with the tunze doc skimmer 9410 DC very excited

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g DT with a 55g sump/refugium..It's around 6 weeks old.. The refugium isn't set up yet but I have everything ready for it.. This is eventually going to be a mixed reef tank..There are only 7 small fish & a CUC at the moment.. At what point should I be adding a skimmer & what would you recommend. I've been thinking about the Reef Octopus Regal 200 INT but I know there are lots of others that deserve fair consideration so help me out here..Money isn't exactly a problem but I'm not looking to spend it if I don't have to..

Shoob1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendations for a 100 gallon main tank 60gallon sump, mix reef did a ton of reading can't decide, been looking at reef octopus,aquamaxx, vortex and bubble magnus. Top 3 recommeed maybe? Ty!!

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to find out more info on the "Pro-Tein Clean" skimmer, but I haven't seen anything since I believe March of 2016.

Does anyone know someone that actually has used it? (It looks interesting.)

Thanks for any info.

Allen

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my skimmer dialed in for a few weeks now and I've been dosing nopox, in the last few days it's been foaming like nuts! Overflowing the cup constantly no mater what I adjust, this started happening the same time I've noticed my Cyanobacteria dieing off and reducing...would the cyano firing cause it to foam up so much, it was quite a big cyano bloom.

ryan316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I need some help, I have a 40b with about 15 lps frags (buying more soon, plus sps, bubble tip anemone, 4 clowns, diamond golby, flame angel, cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, about 2 dozen red/blue leg crabs, a dozen snails. Xr30w G4, hob emperor 400, and currently a sea clone 1000 I believe that is not performing like it used to.. I'm looking to upgrade the skimmer but it needs to be a hob hence I do not have room for a sump. I'm looking for recommendations, possibly best bang for my buck, not looking to spend more than around 200

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back