Skimmer Q&A Thread

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have a 120 gallon with 40 gallon sump and i plan to have about 15 fish in it.
Right now im running a 40 gallon breeder DT with a Your choice aquatics DC10. I love this skimmer but it is too small for my new tank.
The footprint is very small and they have a bigger one i could get for around 250.

Just looking for small in sump footprint skimmers under say 400. I want to check out everything else out there before i purchase

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look at an Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 or a Seaside aquatics ES7.

How much space (LxWxH) do you have and water depth to run in?

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my sump is set to 9" deep, I have plenty of space (27" tall), but the opening into sump is 8". So one of the L or H has to be 8"

I lean towards the RO due to warranty and pump issues Aquamaxx had.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my sump is set to 9" deep, I have plenty of space (27" tall), but the opening into sump is 8". So one of the L or H has to be 8"

If you're in the US Coralvue is a great distributor and I've never had an issue working with them. The RO classic line is solid. May not be the best but most everyone are happy with them.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i use cermedia plates that are 1 inch tall to raise my skimmer to proper level if needed. they are very useful.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Indiana so it is nice. Saltwater Aquarium has the Regal 150 INT for $355 + 10% back right now. That will most likely be what I get.

I do like the design of the 152 though.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would anyone be able to help me with my psk75 in sump skimmer its been running now for 4 months and i cant get it to work properly. i constantly need to adjust it. it is in a 20 gallon long 9 inches of water. i set it to the neck and it sometimes works fine other times doesn't produce enough bubbles or sometimes the water level drops on its own and i need to readjust but i can never get it to work properly for more than a couple of days without me having to mess with it.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budget 300$, really wanna spend 250 or less though.
footprint doesnt matter because i have built my sump yet.
looking for the highest overkill for bioload.
my tank will be a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. probably a total of 140 gallons.

right now im using a your choice/seaside aquatics dc10 and i love it. they have a small footprint and skim alot.

so my first choice right now is a dc16 rated for up to 240 gallons

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would anyone be able to help me with my psk75 in sump skimmer its been running now for 4 months and i cant get it to work properly. i constantly need to adjust it. it is in a 20 gallon long 9 inches of water. i set it to the neck and it sometimes works fine other times doesn't produce enough bubbles or sometimes the water level drops on its own and i need to readjust but i can never get it to work properly for more than a couple of days without me having to mess with it.

Does the water fluctuate in your skimmer sump section? Have you cleaned out the venturi hole as it may have build up some salt or calc creep in the hole blocking the air flow.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budget 300$, really wanna spend 250 or less though.
footprint doesnt matter because i have built my sump yet.
looking for the highest overkill for bioload.
my tank will be a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. probably a total of 140 gallons.

right now im using a your choice/seaside aquatics dc10 and i love it. they have a small footprint and skim alot.

so my first choice right now is a dc16 rated for up to 240 gallons

The reefbreeders skimmer line is tough to beat, may want to check them out as well. Anymore the DC skimmers are all running the same pump's and have similar bodies, so find one with the footprint you like that has the design you like and i'm sure it'll work fine.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefbreeders skimmer line is tough to beat, may want to check them out as well. Anymore the DC skimmers are all running the same pump's and have similar bodies, so find one with the footprint you like that has the design you like and i'm sure it'll work fine.
thanks
yea it seems alot of companies are just basic clones.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, rather than post a new thread, I figured I would post here to get advice. I don't have time this second to look at all of the other posts here, but I will do that soon. Any direct advice would be awesome. I have a VERY basic set up. 120 gal tank, 38 gal sump (old fish tank), water flows into filter sock, 2 pieces of live rock in the sump, then the return pump. Been running 76 days fallow. All numbers are good, calcium, phosphates run .05 - .03, nitrites are zero. Nitrates are a little high - around 20-40. I have corals growing well - zoas, mushrooms, acan, hammer and 2 sticks (but I don't know what kind). All are gowing and doing well. I just added 2 baby clowns, have a fox face, sailfin, and 2 firefish in QT to add soon. Hoping to get a pair of blue jaw triggers, couple goby's, a green mandarin, and not sure what else. (Obviously, this will take LOTS of time). But with my current set up, I am thinking protein skimmer is the next priority to add to the filtration, since basically right now I am just using a filter sock and that is all. Any advice on what to get would be helpful as I have absolutely NO CLUE what I am looking for. I have done some research on @Bulk Reef Supply website, but still not sure what I need for my 120. Thanks in advance! :)

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look for a solid 6" body skimmer based on the depth of your sump and space you have available.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend an Octopus Skimmer due to warranty and reputation. You will want the skimmer in an area where the water height is stable.

Anything bigger than a 6" body won't be consistent.

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a small, inexpensive in sump skimmer for my 40 gallon frag tank with 20 gallon sump? It has 2 fish in it and is bare bottom. I like the reef octopus classic 110 but would like to spend less as the frag tank barely needs a skimmer anyway

Water depth is about 7 to 8 inches if that matters

ReeferMike420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a BM curve 5 thats pretty new and is making a loudish sound from the air silencer. when i cover the hole it stops. Any ideas on how to quiet this down to when it was new?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 68 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back