Skimmer Question?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So I've had my skimmer running through break-in for a couple weeks now.
I've just introduced my first 2x fish 3 days ago.

Everything in the skimmer has still been clearish water (it looks like bubbles hit the top, form a bigger droplet, and drop into the collection cup)

Now I know these two little clowns most likely don't produce the MOST amount of proteins just yet, but I wanted to be sure the skimmer is working properly or if I should look into a new one?

I tested ammonia in the tank vs in the skimmer, and it was 0 in the tank, and 1ppm in the skimmer.
Does that mean it's working well, or perhaps it just collected water before it had a chance to be processed by the bacteria in my tank?

As mentioned, it's pretty clear in there.

Thanks!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue so I'm just going to listen.
Have you tested your Ammonia in your cup too? Really curious if mine is working properly or just never gave that water a chance to get hit w/ the nitrifying bacteria.

I know mine is running wet right now (but not overflowing the top. its more of acclimation of bubbles on the cap which drip into the cup, still trying to adjust now that I have fish in. Tiny bioload though)

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your Ammonia in your cup too? Really curious if mine is working properly or just never gave that water a chance to get hit w/ the nitrifying bacteria.

I know mine is running wet right now (but not overflowing the top. its more of acclimation of bubbles on the cap which drip into the cup, still trying to adjust now that I have fish in. Tiny bioload though)
I have not but I will tomorrow! I'll let you know, I also have a small bioload.
1 nassarius snail
2 red legged hermits
2 1.5 inch clowns

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of variables but I'm guess you simply don't have the bio load to produce thick smelly skimmate. Sounds like your skimmer is working fine BTW. Skimmers are set to personal preference, I like to run mine dry......others......wet skim. I 'think' 'maybe' you could turns yours down a bit.....

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of variables but I'm guess you simply don't have the bio load to produce thick smelly skimmate. Sounds like your skimmer is working fine BTW. Skimmers are set to personal preference, I like to run mine dry......others......wet skim. I 'think' 'maybe' you could turns yours down a bit.....
What do you mean dry? And what's wet skim?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best shown with pics which I don't have. Dry refers to dialing back the skimmer so only the thickest stinkiest skimmate makes it into the cup. Wet is the opposite. The skimmer is dialed so the cup fills with a light green pea soup. I honestly think their is no right or wrong.....you simply dial-in what works for your system.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I skim wet. Since skimmers aren't as efficient as everyone thinks they are, I want to pull as much garbage out as I can. As far as the other, unless you have a ton of live rock you shouldn't get much of anything yet. In fact when you do, it will probably pull algae from the water before there is fish waste. Unless you increase your bio load.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic. I don't have a skimmer (but I want one). I have two clowns and a handful of corals in a 10 gallon (5 inverts+tiny hitchhikers+baby mysis). What a mess in the refugium.. algae on algae and floating junk everywhere. Smells when you take it out. 1.5-2" sand bed. and way too much rock. ~13G total system with like 14-17lb rock. That probably didn't help any but.. 2 fish and other stuff can bring the waste. Probably give them 4-8 pellets a day. And lots of algae growing light. D: I don't have a skimmer so I can't answer the question. But I am always curious what it would do for this.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So I've had my skimmer running through break-in for a couple weeks now.
I've just introduced my first 2x fish 3 days ago.

Everything in the skimmer has still been clearish water (it looks like bubbles hit the top, form a bigger droplet, and drop into the collection cup)

Now I know these two little clowns most likely don't produce the MOST amount of proteins just yet, but I wanted to be sure the skimmer is working properly or if I should look into a new one?

I tested ammonia in the tank vs in the skimmer, and it was 0 in the tank, and 1ppm in the skimmer.
Does that mean it's working well, or perhaps it just collected water before it had a chance to be processed by the bacteria in my tank?

As mentioned, it's pretty clear in there.

Thanks!

Just let it take its coarse, I think I am going to design a skimmer and make some money because I believe more Reefers will spend hours watching how there skimmer puts foam into the cup and if they are not happy with how much they are getting they all seem to think that a new one will be better. Soon you will be cursing your skimmer because you will be emptying it every other day and washing it and getting all that wonderful fish poop on your hands and your wife asking what the heck is that stink.

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Sounds like you don't have much of a bio load yet and the tank is still fresh. Give it time and I think you will be fine. What kind of skimmer do you have?

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it take its coarse, I think I am going to design a skimmer and make some money because I believe more Reefers will spend hours watching how there skimmer puts foam into the cup and if they are not happy with how much they are getting they all seem to think that a new one will be better. Soon you will be cursing your skimmer because you will be emptying it every other day and washing it and getting all that wonderful fish poop on your hands and your wife asking what the heck is that stink.
Hahaha cheers! I don't mind (at least for now) the constant emptying. I have holes drilled 1/2 way into the cup anyway, so I knew that I would be emptying sooner than later anyway.

I agree. Sounds like you don't have much of a bio load yet and the tank is still fresh. Give it time and I think you will be fine. What kind of skimmer do you have?
Ok for sure. I did another test today w/ 1ppm in the skimmer and pretty much none in the tank. I guess it's working, and there isn't enough to produce a different color yet xD

DON'T JUDGE ME! But I just grabbed this cheap lil guy:
51534P1ngIL._SL1000_.jpg

Thoughts were, hey if it works, awesome! If not, ok only lost like $40. The water level is slightly above base of the cup. and foam level roughly half way.
Foam isn't actually overflowing into the cup, but more so having water hit the cap, form into a droplet, and fall into the collection cup.

Few microbubbles still hitting DT, but very few now.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it run, took mine probably 6 weeks or more just to get broke in.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, when you get a nice whiff of the smell of death, its starting to work properly!! Lol

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check to make sure everything is set up properly and all the adjustments are on point. I made a simple mistake on my skimmer and had it running incorrectly for about 2 months. Once I fixed the issue it made the world of difference.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check to make sure everything is set up properly and all the adjustments are on point. I made a simple mistake on my skimmer and had it running incorrectly for about 2 months. Once I fixed the issue it made the world of difference.
Any reference material (article / video) you recommend to set points on how to set it?

Look at quite a few myself, but figure more won't hurt!

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every skimmer is a little different so I can't tell you exactly how to fine tune your skimmer. However, this video can give you a general idea on what to look for when dialing it in. This video helped me alot when I first got my skimmer.

Try this and let me know if it works!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every skimmer is a little different so I can't tell you exactly how to fine tune your skimmer. However, this video can give you a general idea on what to look for when dialing it in. This video helped me alot when I first got my skimmer.

Try this and let me know if it works!

Will do! Cheers!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back