Skimmer rec for Red Sea Reefer 250?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so the awesome news is my hubby got me a red sea reefer 250 to replace my jbj 45 that cracked last winter! The sad news is the sump has a water level of 7" and my Tunze 9004 needs 8-8.5" of water...so I need a different skimmer. Any recs on a quiet skimmer that only needs 7" of water (and pref won't break the bank?) Livestock is a pair of seahorses, mushrooms and gorgonians (photosynthetic)

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so the awesome news is my hubby got me a red sea reefer 250 to replace my jbj 45 that cracked last winter! The sad news is the sump has a water level of 7" and my Tunze 9004 needs 8-8.5" of water...so I need a different skimmer. Any recs on a quiet skimmer that only needs 7" of water (and pref won't break the bank?) Livestock is a pair of seahorses, mushrooms and gorgonians (photosynthetic)
Have you had your tank very long. I am currently considering this on for myself. My 29 is getting overcrowded with corals

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7531.JPG
Nyos 120 Skimmer
Dead Silent and pulls out some nasty gunk

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the original 250. Everybody was putting in the Deltec MC500. It was a great upgrade!
If it fits your 250 then you can't beat that Deltec MC500.

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get the older 250 or the C-250?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry...
You got the "Reefer" 250 (Congrats)!

Aquamaxx makes a great skimmers for the money if they make one that fits your specs.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had your tank very long. I am currently considering this on for myself. My 29 is getting overcrowded with corals

He set it up for me mid October and I transferred every thing over then. I like it but wish the back of the stand was more open for air flow. It's kind of hard to fill the ato reservoir without using a very small container. My biggest "complaint" is that my tunze skimmer won't work and most of the ones I find for the lower water level are underrated for the size tank.

GoVols and Branespikin I'll look into your suggestions!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a bunch of new Red Sea Reefer 250's coming online after Christmas! Having the same discussion on another thread as well.
+1 for the Nyos 120, it's perfect for this tank and sump. Picture above that @Brainspikin posted looks exactly like mine does every Saturday morning on my 250.
Great skimmer!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a bunch of new Red Sea Reefer 250's coming online after Christmas! Having the same discussion on another thread as well.
+1 for the Nyos 120, it's perfect for this tank and sump. Picture above that @Brainspikin posted looks exactly like mine does every Saturday morning on my 250.
Great skimmer!
Yeah, Seeing a lot of Nyos in them and BRS Skimz models.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First when they say 8 to 8.5 is the ideal water level, your skimmer will most likely just fine at the 7 inch mark. Have you tried it?

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First when they say 8 to 8.5 is the ideal water level, your skimmer will most likely just fine at the 7 inch mark. Have you tried it?
Yes, I tried it. The skimmer needs to be just off the bottom of the sump and the water level is well below the line on the skimmer. I even plugged it in for giggles but its a no go. (But now its running in my 90 reef because my 9012 bit the dust so I've got some skimmer shopping to do.)

Bubble magus curve 5 is on sale on Marine depot right now...I've seen those going in a few. Are the NYOS truly amazing because it's a bit out of range atm.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to start a war about skimmers but I have see posts on the Nyos where the cups become seized on or very hard to get off and lately an increase on pump failures. The thing that bothers me is EcoTech seems to running from this as people are saying their emails and phone calls are not being returned and parts are very hard to get.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I tried it. The skimmer needs to be just off the bottom of the sump and the water level is well below the line on the skimmer. I even plugged it in for giggles but its a no go. (But now its running in my 90 reef because my 9012 bit the dust so I've got some skimmer shopping to do.)

Bubble magus curve 5 is on sale on Marine depot right now...I've seen those going in a few. Are the NYOS truly amazing because it's a bit out of range atm.
That curve says a water level of 9.5" to 11". But can't beat that price.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That curve says a water level of 9.5" to 11". But can't beat that price.

I know...and then I found threads on other boards saying the water level was over estimated by manufacturer and it does actually work well in this sump. I need a website tool where I can enter my needs and it will give me just one option. (I need this for everything in my life. I suck at decisions.)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to start a war about skimmers but I have see posts on the Nyos where the cups become seized on or very hard to get off and lately an increase on pump failures. The thing that bothers me is EcoTech seems to running from this as people are saying their emails and phone calls are not being returned and parts are very hard to get.
I've never used them but I see a lot of mixed reviews on them, including EcoTech's support.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't say enough good things about the Nyos but don't break the budget as there's others that'll do just as well to be sure. I originally went with a D.C. Bubble Mag but could just never get it dialed in and had to tinker almost daily. Others have had great success with theirs though I never found much info on the model I had.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the Vertex 130 as mentioned and the Reef Octopus Super Reef 1000 as both run well in lower water levels in fact the 1000 recommended levels are 5.5 to 5.75 inches. I don't know what space you have inside cabinet but the 1000 is 19.75 inches tall and you would have to get or build a stand for it for it of 2.5 inches that would make it 22.25 inches with about a half inch for removing cup so I would say you need 23 inches from sump bottom to the stand top. The pump on the 1000 pull 540 lph of air with 565 lph of water draw which is quite impressive for a Skimmer of this size.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this skimmer. I would recommend it to everyone. As for the cup sticking its made as a tight fit and does get used to pulling it off. After a while you get hang of it. I have not heard anything about pumps going bad and strange to hear about ecotech service dept as i have had only top notch customer service from them. I have a bunch of their products for years.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back