Skinmer question

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question. I used a 1/4 dose of api erythromycin to kill some cyano in my tank and my skimmer went nuts so i turned it off. (Around 5pm) when i got up for work 12 hours later i turned it back on to see how it acted and it was still foaming enough where i didnt want to leave it on while im away at work so its still off. Is it bad to have it off for basically a full 24 hours? When i get home ill probably turn it on and see how it reacts.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question. I used a 1/4 dose of api erythromycin to kill some cyano in my tank and my skimmer went nuts so i turned it off. (Around 5pm) when i got up for work 12 hours later i turned it back on to see how it acted and it was still foaming enough where i didnt want to leave it on while im away at work so its still off. Is it bad to have it off for basically a full 24 hours? When i get home ill probably turn it on and see how it reacts.
Nope, not bad at all. You may just want to feed a bit lighter while it is out of action.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer went nuts like that. I figured that something was in the tank that caused it. I let it fill up the cup. I took the cup and contents out and emptied it. I repeated it once or twice and the skimmer settled down. The over skimming must have removed what ever it was rather quickly.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure there is enough surface agitation to prevent any decline in O2 during treatment.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine's been off for 1 month while I waited for my SOS Zaya. It just arrived today so I'll be skimming tonight. Didn't have any issues while it was off but I did increase my water change from 10% to 15% wk during this time.

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great thanks! I also have an algae scrubber so that would probably help if there were a spike in anything

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one more dose of erythromycin 24hrs later so on day 3 with no skimmer because it still foams like crazy. Is it normal to have tons of foamy bubbles build up on the filter socks when dosing meds for your tank?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is normal for your skimmer to go nuts. When you turn it back on, lower the water level in the skimmer and make sure to have some WC water made up. Just keep dumping the skimmer cup until it stops. You might have to dump it many times.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back