Small Acrylic Frag Tank - Foam padding or not?

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up an acrylic frag tank (24" x 24" x 10"). It's going to be sitting on a stand with the top of the stand being a 3/4" piece of plywood. Checking for level on all four sides shows slight variances but the bubble is still within the lines on the level. If I should use foam padding underneath, what could I use that would be readily accessible (Home Depot/Lowes)?
Thanks.
Rob

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use the foam....easy to get a HD or Lowes...since you only have a slight variation in height, I would use the thinner stuff IMO.... Is the top completely flat? I often see tank stands with solid tops having a twist...which causes alot of issues with glass and seams....

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically it's not on a stand but on one of the shelves of a DIY shelving unit in my basement made from 2" x 4" and plywood. What type of foam from HD/Lowes? Are we talking exterior foam insulation board or is there something else they sell?

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use short tuff carpet tiles, normally come in 12" Squares, easy to cut, you can normally get a few as free samples, and sand coloured or blue look great if you have burrowing fish or strong flow that often shows a bare bottom :)

Lay them rubber side down ;)

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically it's not on a stand but on one of the shelves of a DIY shelving unit in my basement made from 2" x 4" and plywood. What type of foam from HD/Lowes? Are we talking exterior foam insulation board or is there something else they sell?
I always use the exterior stuff...I think they have a thin white foam too...either should work well.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used foam, mines 18 x 18 x 10

KIMG0532.JPG

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice slayerhellfire! I like the setup. I went down the carpet aisle at HD and found a urethane foam indoor floor mat. That's what I used and seems to be ok. The tank was so close to perfect level I used it for piece of mind. Up and running and so far, so good. Right now it's really not a frag tank. I'm in the process of battling AEFW so I'm using it as a quarantine. Running my display fallow for 8 - 12 weeks. I've only got about a 1/2 dozen frags at the moment but once treatment on these is done I will be looking to add more for quarantine as well. Once my display is stocked and AEFW free then I'll be able to call it a frag tank. Here is mine.....

20170116_225844[1].jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back