Small footprint wave maker?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so my hydor koralia 5 1650 gph only last 4 or 5 years, maybe that's good maybe not but I would like something with a smaller footprint this time - these things take up a lot of room.

(The one I have now pulses 3 short times when plugged in then quits repeatedly - so that's what has me replacing them)

I don't want to break the bank but would like similar flow to the hydor koralia mag 5 (1650).

I've seen some that are cleaner looking too.

Suggestions? I tend to keep buying the sam thing because it's easy but I'm having nothing but trouble with them and I don't really have time to mess with it! It's for a 180. I think I would need three of them, lots of acanthurus tangs that like heavy flow.

#reefsquad help me out here

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked my old Koralia powerheads when they had single number labels.....1 - 8. I had four 4's in the DT, and an 8 that I used for mixing salt. My only complaint was that they'd start in reverse. When Evolutions came out, I replaced all my 4's with the 1400. These things were crap....within a year, all had died. At that point I switched to MP's. I now have two MP40's, a Tunze and a Jebao in my tank. I am really impressed with Jebae....I have the PP15. That thing puts out more water than the MP40s. I picked up two for $140. The only unknown is how long they'll last. But for the price, I'd be happy with three years.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen Tunze has some nice little power heads. There's always the jaebos as well. I've used a small tunze in my 75 for a while and like it well enough. Never used the jaebos though

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some Tunze 6040s for their small foot print. They are a bit lighter flow wise than you are looking for, but super small and compact - and Tunze reliability as well. Might be worth a look.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone I will check these out. Does anyone know what the powerheads are that are say half that size, perhaps squared or at least mounted by magnet without much ability to aim but far less room taken up in the tank?

Kind of line the Aqueon but mounted directly to the side via magnet and even smaller footprint?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the Jebaeo wireless have the smallest footprint but they're a mint and I don't care about the wireless connectivity :/

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even used you'll be dropping a couple hundred on one most likely. You can buy 3-4 jebaos for the price of one mp. I'd say jebaos are a much better value but if money is no option I would pick mp's for sure
Yeah I may well go that route, I don't want to drop 1G in powerheads at the moment

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may well go that route, I don't want to drop 1G in powerheads at the moment
Yeah Ecotech MPs are the cream of the crop, at least as far as price is concerned. They have minimum advertised pricing too which means you'll never see them sold at a lower price, no matter which retailer you use. Only the manufacturer can offer a reduced price.

They are well built, reliable, have great resell value, and arguably the best power heads available. That being said, there are plenty of people who disliked them....just WAY MORE people that love them.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Ecotech MPs are the cream of the crop, at least as far as price is concerned. They have minimum advertised pricing too which means you'll never see them sold at a lower price, no matter which retailer you use. Only the manufacturer can offer a reduced price.

They are well built, reliable, have great resell value, and arguably the best power heads available. That being said, there are plenty of people who disliked them....just WAY MORE people that love them.

I think the ONLY downside (excluding cost) to an mp is the inability to direct flow. Since they have to be flat against the side of the tank they can only face one direction vs something like a jebao that can be pointed wherever you want. Not a huge deal for most situations but that's the only complaint I could ever come up with.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested, HERE's the two pack of Jebae PP15's I purchased.....best deal I could find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested, HERE's the two pack of Jebae PP15's I purchased.....best deal I could find.
That's a great deal, before I buy, they go up to 4000 gph?? That's serious flow!

Plug in and they work like the hydor I had?

Thanks for the referral!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked by the amount of flow. I simply wanted a bit more flow and noticed that they appear to put out more flow than the MP40's I have. I have it set way down to just get the flow I want. If you have more than one, they can be synced to run together. And there are a bunch of different settings....I know "wave" was too much for my tank....waves were too high.

And yes, they are plug and play. They are DC, so you have the power supply, the controller, and the pump. Easy and I think intuitive to simply take it out of the box and set it up. The link I provided above talks about all the features.

I don't know the difference, but you might want to check THESE out too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back