Snail question!

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is starting to get some more algae in it, enough that its becoming very noticeable, which of course I know is inevitable. I have been waiting for this to pop up so that I could add some algae eating snails. Now its a fine coat on all of my rock, with none really on my tank yet.

Should I wait longer until I get a significant amount of algae so I dont kill the snails or can I add maybe 2 or 3 snails this weekend , only a low number so they dont starve to death ?

If so, what are the best kind of snails to get that I wont have to worry about flipping over but will do a formidable job?

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally love turbos since algae can get out of hand quickly, and the astreas seem to not keep up, plus they fall off the glass and die if you dont upright them. i also have a nice little group of bumble bee snails for a little color. i find that i am able to keep my snails because i also throw in a cube of emerald entree each week just to make sure theyve got enough to sustain themselves, if im having an algae prob then i just dont feed the emerald entree until the prob is gone

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard turbos do pretty quick work of algae. If I only have a bit on my rocks right now, will they eat it all up so fast that they will starve? This could be a mute point, if I always go with your plan of feeding entree.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the other thing that I read about turbos that I am a little nervous about bulldozing. I heard that they can be pretty rough on rockwork. My rock work is interlocked and stacked, but not glued or anything. Should I worry about them knocking it over?

iowacarrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about them starving... snails snack on all kinds of algae you can't "see" with the naked eye. If you have a visible coat all over the rocks, you're fine. There's a fabulous website that will give you a custom "Clean-Up Crew" suggestion for how many and what kinds of snails to get based on your tank and it's current situation. I've used 'em for years... never gone wrong: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=86

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I'm worrying about 100 different things that I shouldn't even be thinking about lol

shimin

noob reefer on a mission
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about them starving... snails snack on all kinds of algae you can't "see" with the naked eye. If you have a visible coat all over the rocks, you're fine. There's a fabulous website that will give you a custom "Clean-Up Crew" suggestion for how many and what kinds of snails to get based on your tank and it's current situation. I've used 'em for years... never gone wrong: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=86
that's who I use and I love them and if you order a "quick crew" you get free shipping and they send more then you order so if some die you still get what you ordered (i order less than I want cause I know they send extra)

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled out the form in reef cleaners last night so we will see what I get in return.

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the folks at reef cleaners will do you right, that's their business and the package that they build for you is exactly what you need. BTW, I use certh snails in my aquarium, all I have to do is go to the ocean bend over and collect them by the thousands if needed, but I only take whats needed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back