So confused: Mysterious deaths

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fordfamily, did you use the treatment in your tank with all your wrasses? Two of my fish alive are wrasses and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them. Thanks both of you

All 23 of my wrasse in my three systems were exposed to 1.5-2x treatment now for 10 days and no issues.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's good. I just picked up prazi and will start the treatment in a couple of hours.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish my second clown is on it's way out and has cloudy eyes and frayed fins. First visible signs I have seen.

Freshwater dip him. Use RODI, temp match, dip for 5 mins. This will confirm the presence of flukes and also provide temporary relief.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428360409.811513.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428360453.514353.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like flukes; although I would think there would be more of them if that's what killed him. Prazipro info below:

Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were more of them, I just couldn't get a good picture with all of them. It was probably double the amount of flukes there. Thank you so much for the help.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish, assuming prazi pro eradicates the flukes, should I wait for like 2 months to make sure everything is ok before adding any more livestock to my tank? Also, how will I know prazi worked?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish, assuming prazi pro eradicates the flukes, should I wait for like 2 months to make sure everything is ok before adding any more livestock to my tank? Also, how will I know prazi worked?

Wait a few weeks after doing the second round of Prazi, catch one of your fish, administer a FW dip ... If you don't see any flukes, you are good to go. :thumb:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see a fish that is still twitching or scratching, that would be a good one to FW dip.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. Hopefully it will work. In a fw dip you have to match temp and ph right? How do you later the ph?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. Hopefully it will work. In a fw dip you have to match temp and ph right? How do you later the ph?

Full instructions below:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to wonder if any distributor anymore treats for flukes...I can't seem to buy a fish without them nowadays

heck I even bought a one spot from LA DD that had a huge fluke problem, you could see them in its eyes which ****** me off...Don't they pride themselves on QT'ing fish?? I get that ich is impossible to prevent but how could they not see the flukes?

Also Hawkfish, I have used Prazi many times in a DT and it has never killed anything

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to wonder if any distributor anymore treats for flukes...I can't seem to buy a fish without them nowadays

heck I even bought a one spot from LA DD that had a huge fluke problem, you could see them in its eyes which ****** me off...Don't they pride themselves on QT'ing fish?? I get that ich is impossible to prevent but how could they not see the flukes?

Also Hawkfish, I have used Prazi many times in a DT and it has never killed anything

Not all species of flukes exhibit visible physical symptoms. Some harbor just inside a fish's gills, only reaching the eyes during the advanced stages. Last time I spoke with LADD, all specimens were being treated with prazi soaked food. But IMO, that may not be potent enough for complete eradication. Also, some species of flukes are prazi resistant.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, just hope someone can get a new med for the prazi resistant...only reason I was mad at DD was you could see the flukes in his eyes.

I just hope the hobbyist's can get a handle on them, seem to be running wild

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back