OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP I used prazi in my tank. It got rid of the flukes but I might have intestinal worms. If the treatment for that can be applied to the fish food like Humblefish said I will just do that.

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@longnose, how do you know? Fish have shrinking guts, long stingy white poop, or laying lethargic on sand bed? I have only treated twice in 15 yrs for internal parasites but know a lot. @humble, good to know:) I have never tried that med and from ur accounts seems like a possiblility. I have never had as extensive prob as op is having.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I know what? I checked on the tang as it was dying and there were no flukes after the fw dip. Now on my that died I saw it shrinking and being less active than normal (still swimming) but didn't see stringy poop. And I am going to try that med. Humblefish, do you know where I can find detailed instructions on how to treat with the seachem metroplex?

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, what I mentioned is common signs of internal parasites and I always like to make sure I'm treating correctly. I never would fw dip a dying fish to ascertain what is killin it. Fw dip is stressful and seems counter productive to stress a fish more than it is. I would think that would speed up its death. Post death yes, I can see a fw dip to see if flukes killed it. But it's all speculative and what works for me, might not work for u.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP it was floating around in my tank practically dead. When I went to scoop it out it was dead. And thanks Humblefish I will order it tonight.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mixing container for food. Since my tank has about 100 gallons of water in it would I mix 1000 mg in my food container? Do I then feed the food to the tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mixing container for food. Since my tank has about 100 gallons of water in it would I mix 1000 mg in my food container? Do I then feed the food to the tank?

I think the idea is to mix 100 mg of metro per 1 tablespoon of food to achieve a medicated food formula. I used to make a bunch up at one time. Stir it all together, freeze it, and then cut up little squares & drop it in to feed as needed.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a little saltwater to mix it into a paste before freezing. Once thawed, the presence of saltwater will help it sink faster than RODI FW.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do that as soon as it comes in. Surviving fish look fine but I am still going to treat anyway. How long do I treat for? And also I mix both the metroplex and the focus in the fish food? This should be fine with corals correct? Again, thank you all for the help.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do that as soon as it comes in. Surviving fish look fine but I am still going to treat anyway. How long do I treat for? And also I mix both the metroplex and the focus in the fish food? This should be fine with corals correct? Again, thank you all for the help.

Mix both in with the food. I would feed nothing but the medicated food for at least two weeks. Run carbon just in case some leaches out.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100mg of each per tablespoon of food?

That is correct for metro. For Focus, it's a 5:1 ratio (5x Focus:1x medication). So, for 1 tablespoon of food you would need 100mg of metro, 500mg of Focus.

You can use less of the Focus if 500mg seems like too much. It's the medication that is important.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1429749335.692137.jpg

Correct stuff?

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Hopefully this will help solve my problems. So how does this product work, and what is it designed to kill? Thanks Humblefish.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish the metroplex and focus came in today and I had a couple questions on how to use it. It says blend 1 measure with 1 tablespoon of frozen food paste. I use frozen cubes, how would I get an accurate amount mixed together? It says treat for five days, but I will do a week. Do I turn of skimmer or leave it on and do I leave carbon in also? Thanks so much.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use frozen cubes, how would I get an accurate amount mixed together?

You would need to let it thaw first and then measure using a tablespoon.

Do I turn of skimmer or leave it on and do I leave carbon in also?

Continue to run skimmer/carbon. Be aware your skimmer may over-skim if some of the metro/focus gets released into the water column.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back