So confused with spectrum

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have in my tank that's of major importance light wise.. Is my carpet anemone (idk what kind it is) and 2 tune anemones. I have a Orbit IC with a eflux 660 wave pump. But I don't know what spectrum I should use for my anemones. I'm expecting some hammer head coral soon. Or maybe a BTA.. I just really need to know what spectrum to use. The colors in have are red green blue and white. Can anyone please tell me what light spectrum settings they use so I can try it out ??

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What controls are you working with?

Something around 20,000K that looks good to you is usually fine.

I'd recommend using a light meter to set the brightness – use a lux meter to start with. If you can get your hands on a PAR meter to eithet buy or borrow, it makes a good compliment to the lux meter since you can calibrate it.

Ask a more specific question if you need more help. (I.e. with specific controls, etc)

A screenshot might help too! :)

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on a remote. I can control white blue red and green. I just need to know what color racios are good for my carpet nem. Right now we have white on 95 green 100 red 100 blue 90. What do you think he would like more? I heard bright white led but that seems crazy....That much light for a 30g

I'm mainly just happy he's alive. Saved him from petco

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of them will in fact work.
a "white" is typically 7,000 to 12000 kelvin. (that will grow coral btw)
the full sun and ske color temp is about 6000 kelvin. (a coral under 6 feet of water or less.)
an led fixtures "native"(all full) color temp is generally 16,000 kelvin
By lowering the ratio of white you can make 20,0000 kelvin and higher:eek:.
a blue channel actually in general doesn't have a color temp. is just a sliver of the spectrum.

So....IMO, set the color temp blue white ratio to what looks best. Id bet you wind up in the 14ooo to 18000 kelvin range.
Then set the intensity. thats more important ans now you KNOW the COLOR will grow coral.

Yea a LOT of debate on color, but Diesel is in the 14k range on super awesome SPS and some swear by a Radium blue 20k bulb. It grows SPS and everything else great too.
I have only so far had 2 corals that made me doubt color temp. In each case they were the ONLY coral that showed any change to a color switch . but there were a lot of other possible causes.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a google IMAGES search for "radium reef tank" you'll get the gist of what you're looking for.

As long as you dial in a combination that looks like that, you'll be OK.

Use a lux meter or PAR meter to set the intensity of your color.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google doesn't make a nice link to share iamge searches....hopefully that works.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of debate here.

For starters I will admit that Chinese Imports Grow...That said is how well and with what looks...In addition every time you change your light your stress your corals...

As far as stressing...Back In The Day, we would change out MH and VHO bulbs on different months so the change is mitigated...When it comes to a "Black Box Fixture" the LEDs may be labeled the same but with Generic 3 Watt LEDs there is no spectrum or intensity control..."It's like a Box of Chocolates" you do not know what you are going to get. I know people who replace them like MH Bulbs as the budget ones are not designed to last more than their one year warranty...Yes some offer two and three years but given their unregistered drivers and Generic LEDs and thats pushing it. I have yet to see a mature reef using these...

7 years ago I grew plenty of frags using only DIY Cree XRE Royal Blue and Cool White...This was the original PFO LED fixture which like the Gordon Gekko Phone was expensive...That said the spectrum grew as well in a frag tank...The question is will a significant change in light intensity/spectrum stunt growth temporally or in a non optimal system doom the corals...

Today accomplished reefkeepers with mature tanks still use MH...400 watt MH rocks if you can afford the heat...

For SPS and Carpet Anemones I use a Domestic 400 watt MH Equivalent LED Fixture. Most Quality Fixtures like the Radion are a 250 watt equivalent based on their PAR...That said Carpet Anemones do not ship well and once established are very hardy especially under a PAR of 200+...I would choose a fixture that is reliable so your not stressing you tank with every change.

My RBTAs are under 500 PAR and cant give them away fast enough...

Bill

DSC_0579_zpswfro46fo.jpg

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all lights are the same anymore, you just need sufficient brightness.

Those who are trying to sell you on something will say there's a difference. :)

Last edited:

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cree X series Cool White comes in 28 different color variations and numerous intensity variations...Their can be a huge difference in looks with one being more yellow than the other. As far as the Cree Royal Blue there is a huge difference in color pop between the 450-455 nm and 460-465 nm...Binning is extremely important...

Most companies do not bin their LEDs..Not all lights are the same...

Quality of the Drivers, Optics and Power Supplies is another big thing that makes one light better than the other.

Bill

Last edited:

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have in my tank that's of major importance light wise.. Is my carpet anemone (idk what kind it is) and 2 tune anemones. I have a Orbit IC with a eflux 660 wave pump. But I don't know what spectrum I should use for my anemones. I'm expecting some hammer head coral soon. Or maybe a BTA.. I just really need to know what spectrum to use. The colors in have are red green blue and white. Can anyone please tell me what light spectrum settings they use so I can try it out ??
How's the tank been now that you've had these some time? Just got my ic in

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is thriving...tho.. Right now I have a major diatom bloom that my poor sand sifter star can't keep up on. The lights are amazing. The reef store up the road from me advertises for them. And they have all their tanks on the orbits its amazing. Good for coral growth :) and invert breeding (lighting mode)

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what the dude at my reef shop said. I was like.........whhaaattt....he was like some nems and inverts need a lighting storm/thunderstorms to induce breeding. I havnt done to much research on it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back