So I used a peroxide dip on a rock with Zoas on it....

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the dip because this rock had a little hair algae on it. I did a quick search beforehand to make sure it was safe. I used a 40/60 solution of 3% peroxide and tank water. I dipped it for 3 minutes, rinsed with a little bit of tank water, and then put it back in the tank. At first they were open but looked sad. They closed up completely about an hour later and haven't opened at all. It's been around 10 hours since I dipped. Will these little guys bounce back? Thanks for your help.

Oh and all of the other Zoas in the tank are perfect. I have a frogspawn that has not changed. Assume all water parameters are stable. :)

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I dip my zoas in it if i have hair algae on the plug and i cant manually remove it

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME that is a high concentration, but yea they should bounce back.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup they should come right back. I personally have not lost any zoanthids to H2O2 tested extensively

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I squirt the 3% hydrogen peroxide right on it, i do not dilute in water. Never lost a single polyp. You should be okay. I usually like to make sure all the polyps are closed before though.

kingston.buck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's on the frag plug I use a syringe and just use strait h202 and target/spot hit the algea. If it's all over I do 50/50 dunk but make sure all the polyps are closed up before dunk

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question about this. IF i dunk my rocks with peroxide will it kill my little starfish hiding in the crevices? What about the bristle worm i found the other day? I wouldnt mind totally if that one bit the dust. lol @twilliard @kingston.buck

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. Dont care about the bristle worm, and technically there would probably be plenty more of the starfish, but I hate the thought of killing them all! Wouldnt that spike my nitrates? If i had like 20 little starfish dying in the rocks?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Dont care about the bristle worm, and technically there would probably be plenty more of the starfish, but I hate the thought of killing them all! Wouldnt that spike my nitrates? If i had like 20 little starfish dying in the rocks?
I still don't know what spike means. Ive really never had nutrient a prob I could see on my numbers like that to call a spike, they go up slow, its the nature of an organic rotting..
\
but yes there will be some nutrints added if they die in the rock But... Grossly when you dip them they all run screaming from the rock an squirm in the bucket till they die.

what are you trying to dip for may I ask.
is it a large established rock?

Gui Paim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will come running out of your rock. I always like dipping it in a bit of tank water before putting it in the tank.. get alot of the floating algae and dying stuff out. Just shake around a little in a bucket with tank water.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will come running out of your rock. I always like dipping it in a bit of tank water before putting it in the tank.. get alot of the floating algae and dying stuff out. Just shake around a little in a bucket with tank water.
yes, always rinse a dip.

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't know what spike means. Ive really never had nutrient a prob I could see on my numbers like that to call a spike, they go up slow, its the nature of an organic rotting..
\
but yes there will be some nutrints added if they die in the rock But... Grossly when you dip them they all run screaming from the rock an squirm in the bucket till they die.

what are you trying to dip for may I ask.
is it a large established rock?

Yes it is well established rock.

IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8831.PNG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is well established rock.

IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8831.PNG
Im assuming this dip is for the algae. Heres what I do.
two buckets . Do a 5 gal water change. split the water between the two buckets. Take the rock out and put it in the first bucket and scrub the heck out of it with a pot scrubber. knock it the algae down as best you can.
add prob a half cup of peroxide to the scrub water ands scrub again. rinse the rock in the second bucket look for stuff you missed.
if you want to keep the micro fauna dont let the rock soak in the peroxide. just dunk. if you need a rest set the rock in the rinse water.
you may need to repeat treatment a couple times.

if the rock is small you can use a large pan or container to set it in to do the scrub part so you dont feel like your rushing and make the scrub part effective.

I use a pot scrubber and a toothbrush.

it a pretty low peroxide dose, so i makes me feel better about putting it back in the tank after the rinse.

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming this dip is for the algae. Heres what I do.
two buckets . Do a 5 gal water change. split the water between the two buckets. Take the rock out and put it in the first bucket and scrub the heck out of it with a pot scrubber. knock it the algae down as best you can.
add prob a half cup of peroxide to the scrub water ands scrub again. rinse the rock in the second bucket look for stuff you missed.
if you want to keep the micro fauna dont let the rock soak in the peroxide. just dunk. if you need a rest set the rock in the rinse water.
you may need to repeat treatment a couple times.

if the rock is small you can use a large pan or container to set it in to do the scrub part so you dont feel like your rushing and make the scrub part effective.

I use a pot scrubber and a toothbrush.

it a pretty low peroxide dose, so i makes me feel better about putting it back in the tank after the rinse.

Thanks for the info! I have just discovered that some of the rock has bubble algea as well.

IMG_8885.JPG

Back