So it Begins! My next/FINAL Build....

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I setup my 36g BF about 10 months ago and while I love it and it's great and all...there are a lot of things I have learned and wish I did differently.

Picture of current state (sorry it's a mess)

1486427771601.jpeg

So I am determined to do my next build right and how I want it....I am going to be Doing the stand and I will also probably do some type of LED/T5 Hybrids lights...I want to buy used for as cheap as I can but still getting quality....

All that being said I am also going to be patient and plan every detail out....piece by piece so this is the first post of my 6' fish wall (Not in wall) build.

Here is my first rough draft of what I want it to look like

20170205_220145.jpg

As I have a 7month old almost on the move the new stand needs to be Chilproofable...I want internal shelving of some kind as well and a place to mount all my fancy electronic devices....

This stand must be able to accommodate my current 30" long sump and would love some room for an upgrade to a 36" in the future...as well as ATO and Dosing container compartment....

Will also be partial open back or prefer drilled stand for plumbing...

I am not good at the whole designing part of stands so if people have some designed ideas definitely shoot them my way...I will be working on a design and posting when ready....

End goal!

- 75g RR DT 48x18x21
-20g Display Fuge 24x12x17
-29g sump
-ATO/Dosing Compartments
-Electronic compartment
-Internal shelving
-Child proof/lockable.
-Build in light hanging racks...
-plumb everything including fuge together.

Any input or design ideas are welcome! Thanks for reading!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This going to be a great build. It is funny when we do are do overs how well planed they are.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like me over a year ago - moved up from the 36B (hated the curved glass). One bit of advice I'd offer is to leave plenty of head room above the sump. Getting things in and out of there, or just poking your head in to look around requires more space than you think. More space also means more options when something you never thought of comes up.
Also, since you're already planning for a 48" wide tank, leave yourself the option of going even bigger - make the stand 24.5" front to back and you could someday upgrade to a 48x24x24 120G!

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like me over a year ago - moved up from the 36B (hated the curved glass). One bit of advice I'd offer is to leave plenty of head room above the sump. Getting things in and out of there, or just poking your head in to look around requires more space than you think. More space also means more options when something you never thought of comes up.
Also, since you're already planning for a 48" wide tank, leave yourself the option of going even bigger - make the stand 24.5" front to back and you could someday upgrade to a 48x24x24 120G!
Great advice man thanks so much...some personal things have come up so I haven't started the stand design yet. But I will definitely be taking the space issues mentioned into account.... right now working in my Sump is a PIA so definitely good call!!

I will be working on the actual stand design over the weekend and post it up! This build may take a long time but at least it will be done right this time!!

Yes I am ditching the BF becuae i also hate the curved glass...my wife and family can't really look into it as it hurts their eyes...also nd making a lid for is a headache....

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so had some free time this afternoon! So here is my very rough draft with measurements of my Stand Build!

After looking at the design I will be reversing the Electronic and Dosing container Sections for 2 reasons...

-Easier to plumb Dosing to Sump
-Easier to get cables up to the tank

For the back of the stand it will have a small section cut out for cabling and that's it. Otherwise sealed with plywood like sides.

Any additional ideas or design changes are definitely welcome!

Thanks for reading!

20170210_114948.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back