So what's been your coolest hitchiker or worst you have found

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it was specifically looking for a coral to eat. It's diet consists of coralline algae AND anything near its mouth. The only other thing it ate in my tank was part of an entrusting sponge.

My initial concern was how fast it was growing. Be aware, eventually it'll start knocking things over. Make sure your rocks are secure, especially since it's fully capable of literally burrowing into them (hence the common name).

As far as I could ID mine, it's a type of rock, or rock boring, urchin likely Echinometra lucunter. You'll soon find there's about 30 species that fit the same exact description though. I narrowed mine down by location (Florida Keys) thanks to @Maritimer.

Dang man that sucks! The only coral I got in mine is some mushrooms but it hasn't messed with then as of yet.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worst two:
P1010976.JPG
Caribbean Fireworms
P1000827.JPG
Red Bladder algae

jenniferw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst one I found was this worm, he is in a 5 gallon bucket in the picture. I couldn't figure out why all my mushrooms would disappear and I caught him eating them last week. Tank has been running for over 5 years and not until I moved things around last week did I even know it was in there. He killed and ate my new rock anemone before I got him out. The anemone was still alive when I spotted it but when I got to it he was half eaten. It pulled it out of the sand and drug it back to it's hole. That's what was left of the anemone next to him :( . Explains what happened to the one that up and disappeared about 8 months ago.
20170223_073310.jpg

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst one I found was this worm, he is in a 5 gallon bucket in the picture. I couldn't figure out why all my mushrooms would disappear and I caught him eating them last week. Tank has been running for over 5 years and not until I moved things around last week did I even know it was in there. He killed and ate my new rock anemone before I got him out. The anemone was still alive when I spotted it but when I got to it he was half eaten. It pulled it out of the sand and drug it back to it's hole. That's what was left of the anemone next to him :( . Explains what happened to the one that up and disappeared about 8 months ago.
20170223_073310.jpg
bless your soul

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did some talking with aquatic maine and they said the cowries aren't the best algae eaters, and that Mexican turbo snails are. What are your opinions on this, and why?
Hahahaha they're both in the "expensive" tank not the breeder. Maybe I should toss them in and play some of that Barry Manilow
They are the only true reef safe Cowrie I have ever come across. I have kept them for over 7 years with zero issues.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they also said they can get cowries in whenever, but they just chose not to

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back