So, you think you want to keep Xenia...

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, we're in the same neighborhood. I'm in Warrenville. I'll trade you some green star polyps for Xenia. Although you may end up cursing me for that. :) Once it moves onto a piece of rock, I usually trade it to my LFS for a new piece of live rock to replace it. Got a couple pieces rock ready to trade.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my GSP colony. It started as a quarter sized frag.

image.jpeg

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in shock... I know people said it could take over but that's a lot of xenia looks cool though and much frag $$ if you decide to get rid of it

RoyalGrammaJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I stay away from Xenia. Period. A lot of soft corals you got to watch out for. Anthelias , Xenia , gsp , even colt corals I heard spread quickly. Although not as bad as the first three I mentioned but still.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia only takes over if you let it. 2 minutes a month would keep that in whatever area big or small that you want.

Jose102173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have other soft coral you like. Just dose Safe Guard Fenbendazole or Amazon calls it Fish Fenbendazole. Remove the sea stars and snails as they will die with the xanias, colts, GSP, and almost anything in those family.

Wouldn't be an option for me. My tank is well stocked with zoas, acans and etc. My daughter thought it would be cute to grow on the back overflow to hide it. Most of the overflow is covered and it seem they are starting to break off. Finding them starting to grow in different spots.

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am absolutely amazed and frankly in awe of what you have done. i have tried to start xenia of a couple different species and both colonies died out. not sure what i'm doing wrong, but obviously you are not doing it.

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am absolutely amazed and frankly in awe of what you have done. i have tried to start xenia of a couple different species and both colonies died out. not sure what i'm doing wrong, but obviously you are not doing it.

I can't kill mine even when I try!

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! Your tank looks like my coworkers! :)

Btw, what kind of fish is that...the one that is blue, white, yellow and black? That thing is AWESOME!

Centropyge multicolor --- dwarf angel. Was a great fish -- unfortunately it didn't survive the transfer to the mother-in-laws.

multi1.jpg

Hey, we're in the same neighborhood. I'm in Warrenville. I'll trade you some green star polyps for Xenia. Although you may end up cursing me for that. :) Once it moves onto a piece of rock, I usually trade it to my LFS for a new piece of live rock to replace it. Got a couple pieces rock ready to trade.

Oh heck no. I had GSP about 20 years ago, I still remember and hate them. Ha.

No longer near Warrenville (( though still work there )), down in Lemont now.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks neat, but I agree it can be a pain. I have a live rock full of it in my 300g that is isolated but it still finds a way to jump and keep reproducing.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nice but I wouldn't want it in my tank good luck. Did you mention what type it is.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you imagine a 8 ft fank like that WOW it would look like you cut a piece of reef out of the sea. Ive had a colony of it for about two years an it WONT spread, dont know why

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the left 3rd of my 180 all xenia except a couple corals. My clowns were in heaven. The rest of the tank was acros.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back