sodium bicarbonate

lpsjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ordering from bulk reef supply. I know if I use baking soda I am suppose to bake it before use. Question is, do I have to do the same on thing for the stuff from bulk reef supply.

OP
OP
L

lpsjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Thats kind of what I figured but I was conserned that it might not have directions with it being bulk.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're purchasing Sodium Bicarbonate, and wish to use a DIY 2-Part formula that requires Sodium Carbonate (Baked Sodium Bicarbonate) then of course you will have to bake it to "turn it into" Sodium Carbonate.

Or as an alternative, you can just purchase Sodium Carbonate in the first place so you don't have to use the oven.

You just need to decide WHICH 2-Part formula you wish to use.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're purchasing Sodium Bicarbonate, and wish to use a DIY 2-Part formula that requires Sodium Carbonate (Baked Sodium Bicarbonate) then of course you will have to bake it to "turn it into" Sodium Carbonate.

In reading about sodium carbonate it seems like its something completely different. Can you really just "bake" baking soda to make sodium carbonate from bicarbonate? Just doing a little reading and havent read exactly those words anywhere...this website makes it seem like its something completely different.

What is Soda Ash?

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading about sodium carbonate it seems like its something completely different. Can you really just "bake" baking soda to make sodium carbonate from bicarbonate? Just doing a little reading and havent read exactly those words anywhere...this website makes it seem like its something completely different.

What is Soda Ash?

Yes! Baking literally drives off CO2 and water leaving Sodium Carbonate.

In fact, thinking in reverse... here's a method to MAKE Sodium Bicarbonate: Note the CO2 and the H2O are "added" to the Sodium Carbonate...
Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NaHCO3

Last edited:

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with bulk reef supply if you want to lower your PH ???for whatever reason you can use Sodium Bicarbonate

if you want a neutral mixture you mix 1/2 part Soda Ash and 1/2 part sodium Bicarbonate.

If you want a mix that raises PH, straight soda ash

these are the three mixes from BRS

or If you want the good stuff just order from Warner Marine

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what you mean by "buffer" your Alk, Baking soda will raise the Alk, give a slight initial drop in PH and then raise the PH slightly, Baked Baking soda (soda ash, soda carbomnate) will raise Alk, raise PH. Depends how much you ad, how much you add at one time, less more frequintly will keep things more stable then larger doses less often. You have to figure it out yourself by figuring how much Alk your tank uses a day.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the article...I just want to hear about other peoples experiences, and how they deal with these problems.

I know that hypothetically baking the baking soda does whatever...sodium carbonate...and I have done that. Today was my second day dosing as according to BRS's reef calculator...so we will see. I just hope it works.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back