Solar wrasse issues

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a solar fairy wrasse yesterday. In the store he was pretty active. I transported him home did a freshwater dip(5 mins) and into QT . He/ she is sharing a qt w/ a male exquisite wrasse. They were both pretty stressed as expected. I completely covered the QT w/a towel for the rest of the night. This morning before the gym I pulled the towel both were a more active. I fed them mysis w/ selcon. Both were more active and fed a bit. Fast forward to this evening, I fed the qt tank again, the exquisite devoured the food while the solar stayed in the same spot on its side. I noticed something floating that looked like a big pile of poop. After a closer look, it think it's something else. Something like intestines. Not sure so I took a picture of it and of the wrasse. Should I do anything other than continue to monitor and feed? What do you think that pike of .... is?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry pictures posted.
IMAG0482.jpg
IMAG0481.jpg
IMAG0483.jpg

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a better picture of the poop in question? Sometimes poop is squiggly like the intestines.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the wrasse breathing heavy at all? Is the other wrasse picking on him? You may have to watch from a distance for 15 or so minutes to catch it if it's happening.

Also, did you see any flukes in the freshwater dip?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too alarming about that poop form what I can see necessarily but there is a chance it may be a bit consitpated.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the wrasse breathing heavy at all? Is the other wrasse picking on him? You may have to watch from a distance for 15 or so minutes to catch it if it's happening.

+1 on the bullying. :)

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn't notice any thing a dip.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't notice any thing a dip.

Do you have a small PVC elbows in there for him to hide in? He could just be freaked out and scared. When a fish can hide without being bothered, he feels safer and wants to explore a bit more knowing he has a place to run to when he feels threatened.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a small PVC elbows in there for him to hide in? He could just be freaked out and scared. When a fish can hide without being bothered, he feels safer and wants to explore a bit more knowing he has a place to run to when he feels threatened.
Yes, there are two pieces in the tank. They just found them last night. He has been swimming a bit more , will continue to monitor.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't provided any updates, that's because I thought the solorensis was doing better. I still think she is but this AM when I fed them, she did not eat. Over the past few days she was eating really good. This morning nothing. She came out from her hiding place and swam to the other side of the tank. I did notice her breathing heavy. I didn't notice any real aggression with the exquisite just a bit during feeding. I did notice another huge piece of poop (i'm assuming and hoping it's poop) the solorensis let go. Please see picture. A little history, these two have been in QT for about a week now. I purchased them from the same LFS at the same time. Did do a freshwater dip, didn't notice anything in the tub. I haven't started any other treatments, just observing. I want to start Tank Transfer next week. I'm thinking of treating them with a dewormer such as Seachem Metroplex today. I do not want to lose the solorensis. The Exquisite is fine, he swims to the top when he see me. Any advise would be appreciated. IMAG0491.jpg IMAG0492.jpg IMAG0493.jpg

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the terrible pictures. I will try and snap a few more to get a better view.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty typical poo. They've been in QT for week, what are you treating with so far? Or are you just observing?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far just observing. I think he's playing with me. As soon as I posted yesterday, he started swimming like normal. One thing I did notice yesterday evening was something stringy hanging off him around his anal area. I tried taking pictures but that was impossible. I can describe it as small white and stringy.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start ttm and prazipro this week. Just wanted to make sure they are eating well, which they are.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it!

"White and stringy" is often an indicator of internal parasites. You might consider adding Metronidazole to your QT protocol. From Humblefish's excellent write-up:

"Metronidazole: Treats internal parasites (worms), Brooklynella; possibly Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Metro can be found as a stand-alone drug (ex. Metro+, Seachem MetroPlex) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (ex. API General Cure). It is best to soak it in the fish’s food; however it can also be dosed directly into a quarantine tank. Use until symptoms (white stringy poop) are gone.

Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. The general consensus is that while soaking it in fish food IS “reef safe,” dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine.

Pros - Can be soaked in fish food, making it (somewhat) reef safe.

Cons/Side Effects - In my experience, certain fish seem to have an adverse reaction to it. But these are in the minority."

- - And if Humblefish, Melypr1985 or 4FordFamily tell you anything different - - for Heaven's sakes, listen to them!!

~B.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far just observing. I think he's playing with me. As soon as I posted yesterday, he started swimming like normal. One thing I did notice yesterday evening was something stringy hanging off him around his anal area. I tried taking pictures but that was impossible. I can describe it as small white and stringy.

I can tell you that the poo's we've seen thus far are normal. Go ahead and start you TTM. If you are concerned about intestinal worms this much, then you can switch from Prazipro to General Cure. GC has both prazi and metro in it so you are covered on both bases.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that the poo's we've seen thus far are normal. Go ahead and start you TTM. If you are concerned about intestinal worms this much, then you can switch from Prazipro to General Cure. GC has both prazi and metro in it so you are covered on both bases.
Are you saying not to worry about the intestinal worms?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back