OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This evening after a day of taking care of my " honey do"list, and watching the biggest upset in NFL history, I was able to do my first tank transfer. I was a bit nervous due the solorensis not eating. It didnt go smooth at all but I got them in the new tank. The solorensis is a bit stressed. I thought I did good catching them both in one pvc fitting. My new tank is a 5 gallon. I have one of those sponge filters that connects to a air pump. it will not sink to tge bittom. Has anyone see
Sorry about that. Just wanted to know if anyone knows how to make it sit at the bottom of the tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that. Just wanted to know if anyone knows how to make it sit at the bottom of the tank?

Are you talking about the PVC fitting? Is it rolling around on you? I like to use PVC Ts (and similar) which don't roll around:

4f1baf37-c45d-4448-805e-15d4e9b1ca9f_600.jpg

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my last post was a bit confusing. I was referring to the sponge filter, image below. I can't get it to sit at the bottom of the tank.
images%20(1).jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my last post was a bit confusing. I was referring to the sponge filter, image below. I can't get it to sit at the bottom of the tank.
images%20(1).jpg

That bottom piece should be weighted to keep it from floating.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS yesterday and brought a bottle of ROE, didn't realize how expensive it was. [emoji107] Also, with that I brought a cup of live brine shrimp. It was only about $2.50, why not give them a try. Being impatient I got home and had try and feed the brine. I dropped a few in, no one reacted. It took about 20 mins for the exquisite to eat but he did. The solorensis didn't. [emoji35] This morning after my cup of coffee they were both swimming around waiting for me to feed. I fed quite a few brine, and they smashed them. Not sure how nutritious they are but at least he (the solarensis) ate. I will continue w/ round two of the metroplex.

Hey lilchris_357,

How did your fish do with a R.O.E. feeding? Sorry about the price, but keep in mind that it is very dense, so a little goes a long way.

Chad

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey lilchris_357,

How did your fish do with a R.O.E. feeding? Sorry about the price, but keep in mind that it is very dense, so a little goes a long way.

Chad
The exquisite ate it but the solorensis did not. The solorensis is not eating much of anything. He did nibble at a little but immediately retreated back to his lil cave.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings me to my next update, I'm day 2 into the TTM. The solorensis has not been swimming. He just hides out in the pvc and once in a while stick his head out to see what's going on. His eating has dwindled. Like I stated before, "he nibbled at the R.O.E but quickly retreated. After the first day w/live brine, he has not gave them any thought. He is breathing a bit heavy. Yesterday I did add a round of metroplex. (treated the tank) Not sure if that's suppressing his appetite. The exquisite on the other hand is doing very well. He eats everything I feed him. As soon as he see me in the room, he's out swimming around. He has a lot of character. He even come up to the water line when i'm there. I do have a question, should I do the first round of prazipro tomorrow on the onset of the 2nd transfer with the condition of the solorensis? He does move around the tank just not often. I know he hasn't eaten much in the past couple days, hopefully its the metroplex killing the internal parasites. Not sure if he's going to be strong enough to make it through. Maybe I should push the prazipro on the tail end of the TTM. The last 2 transfers.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question, should I do the first round of prazipro tomorrow on the onset of the 2nd transfer with the condition of the solorensis? He does move around the tank just not often. I know he hasn't eaten much in the past couple days, hopefully its the metroplex killing the internal parasites. Not sure if he's going to be strong enough to make it through. Maybe I should push the prazipro on the tail end of the TTM. The last 2 transfers.

Some fish just have a problem with QT. I have a kole tang that hid the entire 76 days he was in quarantine. He never came out to eat when I was near, though I did see him come out from across the room. I had to check on him with a flashlight to be sure he was still alive. He was very stressed the whole time. He completed Qt and went back into the display and is still happy and healthy. He's much more bold in the DT.
As long as he's eating, he has a chance.
If you started metroplex, then finish with that before doing any other meds. If you need to do prazi now, then switch to general cure since it has both metroplex and prazi and will take care of both at the same time.
Does the solorensis have any abnormal markings on him? White dots, dusty or dirty looking, red or white patches or markings?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish just have a problem with QT. I have a kole tang that hid the entire 76 days he was in quarantine. He never came out to eat when I was near, though I did see him come out from across the room. I had to check on him with a flashlight to be sure he was still alive. He was very stressed the whole time. He completed Qt and went back into the display and is still happy and healthy. He's much more bold in the DT.
As long as he's eating, he has a chance.
If you started metroplex, then finish with that before doing any other meds. If you need to do prazi now, then switch to general cure since it has both metroplex and prazi and will take care of both at the same time.
Does the solorensis have any abnormal markings on him? White dots, dusty or dirty looking, red or white patches or markings?

Sorry, I too busy scrolling through your build thread, nice build by the way. I have one (a build thread) i'm working on, I will post in a day or two. To answer your question, no marks, spots, patches nor is he dusty looking. His colors has faded a bit. I don't think I need to do prazi now, I was just following Humblefish's recommendation.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost wonder whether he's feeling intimidated by the exquisite ... I know that my solorensis wears subdued colors all the time (though he at least _eats_) because of a slightly larger exquisite and a significantly larger orange-backed wrasse in the same tank...

~Bruce

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost wonder whether he's feeling intimidated by the exquisite ... I know that my solorensis wears subdued colors all the time (though he at least _eats_) because of a slightly larger exquisite and a significantly larger orange-backed wrasse in the same tank...

~Bruce
Very valid statement but they both hide in the same pvc together. The weirdest thing. I did notice the solorensis will wait until the exquisite eats a few bites then he comes out (when he was eating) When they are both swimming, I didn't see any aggression. When I first put them in together there was a tiny bit but that has died out.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pictures of the solorensis. The tank they are in is old and has a ton of scratches. I really need to pull out the big camera and stop using my phone. The exquisite was like, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up." Like i said, if he sees me come to the tank, he out ready to greet me. IMAG0509.jpg IMAG0510.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy thought... (just spinnin' ideas here)

What about covering the sides of the tank, maybe even part of the front, so he doesn't feel as exposed? I've seen that done almost as a matter of course with new fish at the local Public Aquarium.

~B.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy thought... (just spinnin' ideas here)

What about covering the sides of the tank, maybe even part of the front, so he doesn't feel as exposed? I've seen that done almost as a matter of course with new fish at the local Public Aquarium.

~B.
My standard practice with Wrasses is to cover the tank w/ a towel every night. Especially the first 24 to 48 hrs after I initially put them in QT. Then remove the towel in the morning when I feed . No one is home throughout the day and the only light they get is from a nearby window. I could try a couple days w/ the tank covered on the next transfer.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I too busy scrolling through your build thread, nice build by the way. I have one (a build thread) i'm working on, I will post in a day or two. To answer your question, no marks, spots, patches nor is he dusty looking. His colors has faded a bit. I don't think I need to do prazi now, I was just following Humblefish's recommendation.
Thanks for following along. I'll have to look for yours too.
He looks pretty normal as far as body goes. Like I said, you can run prazi but I hate to mix meds too much especially when a fish is seemingly struggling with just one. Running with General cure covers both meds safely and may effect the solar wrasse better than the metro alone. We can't know until it's tried of course.
I like the idea of covering the sides and back of the tank. It may provide some solace to an anxious fish.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following along. I'll have to look for yours too.
He looks pretty normal as far as body goes. Like I said, you can run prazi but I hate to mix meds too much especially when a fish is seemingly struggling with just one. Running with General cure covers both meds safely and may effect the solar wrasse better than the metro alone. We can't know until it's tried of course.
I like the idea of covering the sides and back of the tank. It may provide some solace to an anxious fish.
I totally understand about the general cure. I'm about 67 hrs into the first transfer, should I wait until hr 72 to do the transfer or can I do it before?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand about the general cure. I'm about 67 hrs into the first transfer, should I wait until hr 72 to do the transfer or can I do it before?

It's best to allow for 24 hours contact time before the transfer, so it's probably best to wait until the next to do it. You can do it at the beginning of the next transfer, that's not a problem.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good morning. Did the second transfer yesterday. Checked new water to ensure it matched (as close as possible) to the tank water. SG was 1.025, tank water was 1.026. Tank Temp was 76 can't remember what the new water was. Not far off.1 degree give or take. Transferred them okay but the solorensis immediately went to its side and breathing hard. Put towel over tank. A few hours later checked on him, he moved and was upright and not breathing hard. Good sign. Woke up this morning, checked on him, he's laying on his side again breathing hard, not looking good at all. Lethargic, body is kind arched and floating around. Will be surprised if he last the entire day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back