Some Simple Tips for Keeping Zoanthids Happy, Healthy, and Growing Fast

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Talked To and Read About quite a few People who have been Having Trouble Keeping Zoanthids so I decided to Make this Thread to Help them Out. :)

Here are My Tips for Happy, Healthy, and Fast Growing Zoanthids.

1. Bayer Dip
2. Keep Everything Stable
3. Feed, Feed, Feed
4. Higher Light and Higher Flow (Generally Speaking)
5. Keep an Eye Out for POX
6. Do Regular Water Changes
7. Don't Buy Animals that Might Go After Zoanthids

1. Bayer Dip -

- No Coral (And I mean no Coral) goes into my Tank without an Aggressive Bayer Dip for 15 Minutes.
- Then I check for Eggs with a High Powered Magnifying Glass with a Built in LED Light Used by Coin Collectors.
- Bayer Kills the Pests but Does NOT Kill the Eggs.
- Zoanthids are Targeted by More Pests than any Other Coral (Nudibranches, Spiders, Sundial Snails, etc.)

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

See the Above Link for all things that can Kill Your Zoanthids!

P.S. I put a 6 Line Wrasse in Every Tank as they LOVE to Eat Pests. Without Fail Every Time I add a New Frag the 6 Line Wrasse Swims Over and Sticks His Nose in Every Nook and Cranny Inspecting for Pests. These Guys are AMAZING and Every Tank Tank Should have a 6 Line Wrasse for Pest Control!

2. Keep Everything Stable -

For Me
Temperature - 77 Degrees
Salinity - 1.026
Alkalinity - 8.5
Calcium - 480
Magnesium - 1440

- Test, Test, Test (I cannot Stress this Enough).
- I Test and Dose Every Day on 6 Tanks (2 of the Tanks I Test and Dose Twice a Day - Once in the Morning and Once at Night).
- My Alkalinity Does not Drop more than 0.3 a Day.
- Remember Alkalinity is Depleted more than anything Else in a Reef Tank and is the Most Important thing to Keep Stable which is Why I Test So Much.

3. Feed, Feed, Feed -

- Don't Listen to anybody that says you should have Zero Nitrate and Zero Phosphate with Zoanthids.
- They LOVE Food!
- I feed 3 Times a Week.

I Feed 4 Different Foods to my Corals

1. Reef Roids
2. BRS Reef Chili
3. Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)
4. Larry's Reef Frenzy Frozen Food (LRS)

Here is my Feeding Schedule

Tuesday -

- Reef Roids
- BRS Reef Chili
- Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)

I mix all 3 Together in some Tank Water

Friday -

- Reef Roids
- BRS Reef Chili
- Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)

I mix all 3 Together in some Tank Water

Sunday -

- Larry's Reef Frenzy Frozen Food (LRS)

LRS is more for my Acans and Chalices which I Target Feed after Chopping it Up Fine with a Razor Blade but there are Fine Particle Coral Foods in LRS that the Zoanthids can Use.

4. Higher Light and Higher Flow (Generally Speaking) -

Unfortunately alot of people will Classify Softies like Zoanthids as Low Light / Low Flow Corals.

I think this is at least Partly Due to the Fact that Softies are More Forgiving Corals than SPS and LPS and a Lot of New People are Told to Start with these Corals when they enter the Hobby. Most people when starting out typically do not have a lot of light and flow so I think alot of LFS's just tell the New Hobbyist this because they know the Corals will Probably not Die on Them.

Now they may Live in These Conditions and Tolerate Low Light / Low Flow but they will not Thrive and be Healthy and Grow Fast in these Conditions.

- Remember not all Zoanthids are the Same.
- Some will do better in Lower Light and Flow.
- But in My Experience Most will Grow Faster, Have Bigger Polyps, and Better Color in Higher Light / Higher Flow Tanks.

5. Keep an Eye Out for POX -

I used to get Pox Outbreaks Quite Often When I Did Not Feed My Corals and Had Zero Nitrate and Zero Phosphate.

But Since I have been Feeding Heavily I have never gotten it :) so I feel that Poorly Fed Zoanthids are Prone to POX because of this.

I have also Read that some people feel that it comes from Changing of the Seasons or Temperature Drops in the Tank and I have noticed POX from both of these Situations (Fall to Winter and Spring to Summer Time, Power Goes Out and Temperature Drops - Boom POX the Next Day).

Thank God I do not get POX anymore (What a Nightmare) :(

If you get POX Dip the Zoanthids in Furan-2

Furan-2 can be found at your LFS (It is usually used to Treat Fungus on Freshwater Fish)

- Dip Once a Day for 3 Days in a Row.
- Wait 4 Days and if POX is still there Repeat.

6. Do Regular Water Changes -

- Do Water Changes on a Regular Basis.
- Water Changes will Help Take Out Excess Nutrients.
- They also help Replace Minerals that were Used Up in Coral Growth (Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, etc.)

7. Don't Buy Animals that Might Go After Zoanthids -

- Angelfish
- Butterflies
- Foxface (Rabbitfish)

Hopefully these Tips will Help Some People Out that are Having Issues Keeping Zoanthids :)

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice simple, great write up

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found as well that keeping zero nitrates will stunt or slow my zoa and LPS growth. Keeping it around 5-10 and regular water changes has led to a major boost in growth. As well as maintaining consistent parameters. Thanks for the insight!!

I totally agree.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great write up and thank you for taking the time to do so. Do you use carbon at all with your zoas? I also have 2 tanks with corals and test and dose daily as I haven't hooked up dosing pumps yet hopefully this weekend. I guess I haven't been feeding enough but would feed the fish rods everyday as well as pellets. I have started feeding heavier this week with reef roids every other day now since newly added ats has broken in and is growing thick hair algae. I'm impressed with the hydro leds I got for the ats. So its taking care of excess nutrients and I just stopped skimming the other day will see how that goes. As far as lighting that is where I'm struggling I believe. Running 2 ati powermodule hybrid on my tank 4'x4'x16" and when I increase the intensity they shrink and start to receed. I'm running blue+, coral+,and aqua blue special. Also 3 mp40wes so I don't know why I struggle. Do you have any experience with aqua blue special? I've heard that zoas don't like them. Don't know if that's it.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great write up and thank you for taking the time to do so. Do you use carbon at all with your zoas? I also have 2 tanks with corals and test and dose daily as I haven't hooked up dosing pumps yet hopefully this weekend. I guess I haven't been feeding enough but would feed the fish rods everyday as well as pellets. I have started feeding heavier this week with reef roids every other day now since newly added ats has broken in and is growing thick hair algae. I'm impressed with the hydro leds I got for the ats. So its taking care of excess nutrients and I just stopped skimming the other day will see how that goes. As far as lighting that is where I'm struggling I believe. Running 2 ati powermodule hybrid on my tank 4'x4'x16" and when I increase the intensity they shrink and start to receed. I'm running blue+, coral+,and aqua blue special. Also 3 mp40wes so I don't know why I struggle. Do you have any experience with aqua blue special? I've heard that zoas don't like them. Don't know if that's it.

You are Welcome. :)

No, I Do Not Use Carbon.

Remember Carbon Takes out Good Things as Well as Bad Things so your Corals get Less Nutrients when you use Carbon.

I used Carbon for 5 Years and I got no Growth at all in Most All My Corals.

So I stopped Using Carbon and Boom Corals were Growing :)

I Take a Natural Approach and Do Not Believe in Carbon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back