OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK update and a question on CP. Tang is gone and the dracula Goby died. In all honesty, I am not sure why the goby died. I am in the process of taking the remaining copper out with water changes, carbon and a poly pad. Three fish remaining. I am entering week 5 of the fishless DT.

Question. I can get my hands on Chloroquine Phosphate from a doctor tomorrow. Can CP be used as a preventive QT treatment on new fish? If so, what is the recommended dose?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I can get my hands on Chloroquine Phosphate from a doctor tomorrow. Can CP be used as a preventive QT treatment on new fish? If so, what is the recommended dose?

I prophylactically use CP on all new fish at a dosage of 40mg/gal (use a digital scale to measure). Just be sure the CP you use is US pharmaceutical grade. I will soon unveil a 10 day all-inclusive QT protocol which utilizes CP and two other drugs (easy to obtain.)

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prophylactically use CP on all new fish at a dosage of 40mg/gal (use a digital scale to measure). Just be sure the CP you use is US pharmaceutical grade. I will soon unveil a 10 day all-inclusive QT protocol which utilizes CP and two other drugs (easy to obtain.)

Good to know. I look forward to it. Also, I have a friend that recently opened a store. One system is 200 gallons, the other is 300. Some fish have ICH and or Velvet. What kind of dosing should be used? No inverts. Just fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I look forward to it. Also, I have a friend that recently opened a store. One system is 200 gallons, the other is 300. Some fish have ICH and or Velvet. What kind of dosing should be used? No inverts. Just fish.

Copper or CP treats both ich & velvet, so that would your friend's best bet. Many LFS treat their FO retail systems with copper. I just worry that some don't test (the copper level) as often as they should.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been more clear. I meant CP.

Therapeutic range for CP is 40-80mg/gal (using a digital scale.) However, CP is light sensitive so it's use may not be suitable for a LFS retail system. The treatment room doesn't have to be totally dark, but even overhead lighting must be subdued. No aquarium light can be used. Most LFS I advise who use CP do so in the back, not in the store front, for this reason.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added and copper for a month at least. I had the water tested and tested somewhere between 0-.05. It was very hard to read. I have since added poly filter and carbon as well. I have also completely changed the water in the QT tank many times over through numerous water changes. Any idea why I am still testing .025 for Ammonia? Is it still the false positive from the copper? I did a full battery of tests and the last two times I was showing <1 PPM for Nitrite and 5 PPM's for Nitrate. Today both of those readings are 0.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't still be getting false point of sale if the Cu level really is that low. That sounds like actual ammonia in the water.

Saltwater junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have used levamisole I know this is and old post but I just like to say the product works great I've used it 3 times in the past year and it works awesome instantly and does not harm coral or fish but you have to use it wisely do not over dose .and a large water change within 2 1/2 hours of dosing .ive only used it for Ich on fish and I'm telling you I will not go back to any fish medication sold at any stores .I do recommend it but please do it wisely be smart with it and use only exactly what is recommended

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back