Sourcing Ceramic shafts/sleeve bushings...?

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everybody, I do not see as much traffic as I would care to see in the tinkerer's section. I will pose the question to maybe stimulate some minds.

I am in the process of building a certain aquarium pump on the market. I have come into some resistance in my sourcing thus far. I cannot find ceramic rod at a decent price nor sleeve bushings that will fit that shaft. I have tried all normal spots like McMaster, Grainger, some local harware places and such. I've even had a quote of nearly $60 for 1 ft of 1/8"dia rod....1FT! So, I question all you DIY'ers where you have had luck buying ceramic.

In my prototype I will be using 316SS, but in the final design only ceramic will be used. Absolutely no substitues as another R2R member has solidified that thinking of no short cuts on quality.

Sorry that I cannot be less rogue about this pump, but it maybe 'the pump that cannot be named'. :wink:

If anyone has any sources for cheap QO3000 shafts or impellers, that may also be my only feasible option and this would eliminate some machining on my part.

Any ideas?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that someone is trying build such a device. I debated on it but decided I didnt know where to start..... I would love to know how this turns out.... so no help on the sourcing of parts.....:sad:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back