Spar's Tank Transfer Method

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have many other people telling me that ich is present in all marine fish and that there is no cure for it. They say the fish's immune system has to be boosted to suppress it. What are your thoughts on this?

Not true. It may seem that way because most of the fish we receive have it. A good QT process can and will rid your fish of this parasite. It wont get into your system if you correctly QT all things that go into it first.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild, infection rate is roughly 60-70%. However, being ich only spends 3-7 days on a fish, the fish is able to swim away before being reinfected. Like getting away from mosquitoes. ;) In the confines of a small aquarium (relative to the vastness of the ocean), escape is not possible. Which is why you need to do everything possible to keep ich out of your aquarium in the first place. ;)

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that's what I thought but a lot of people on my local forum were trying to tell me that it is inevitable and that is present in all marine fish and that you can only suppress it. I thought I knew better by everything that I've read on here.

Update: I've moved all fish to quarantine and ordered cupramine, a salifert test kit, prazipro, and an ammonia badge.

Somebody told me to put an AirStone in front of my powerhead in quarantine until my meds arrive to prolonge the fishes life bc ich gets in the gills and inhibits breathing. Any truth to this?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody told me to put an AirStone in front of my powerhead in quarantine until my meds arrive to prolonge the fishes life bc ich gets in the gills and inhibits breathing. Any truth to this?

Yes, parasites often invade the gills first unseen & undetected. Probably because fish breathe through their gills and inadvertently "suck" the theronts (free swimmers) in. When this happens, mucous builds up around where the theronts (now trophonts) latch on making it more difficult for the fish to breathe. So, you want to provide plenty of gas exchange for maximum O2 in the water. Pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water (so it ripples) is how to best accomplish this.

You seem like a man who is interested in knowing everything about ich! ;) If so, read this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-ich.188770/

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, parasites often invade the gills first unseen & undetected. Probably because fish breathe through their gills and inadvertently "suck" the theronts (free swimmers) in. When this happens, mucous builds up around where the theronts (now trophonts) latch on making it more difficult for the fish to breathe. So, you want to provide plenty of gas exchange for maximum O2 in the water. Pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water (so it ripples) is how to best accomplish this.

You seem like a man who is interested in knowing everything about ich! ;) If so, read this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-ich.188770/
Yes sir. I appreciate the link!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like it to you?

20160406_123338.jpg

20160406_123243.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@john.m.cole3 The pic of the foxface looks like ich, but I think I see a couple of dead flukes on the clownfish's body. So, you may have two problems here!

Flukes:

Symptoms - Flukes are parasitic flatworms which harbor mainly inside the gills. Physical evidence of flukes is usually not visible; however at least one genus likes to target the face & eyes, so you may notice visible symptoms in those areas. Behavioral symptoms such as yawning, head twitching, scratching (targeting the gill area) and lethargy are much more common. As the disease progresses, the worms move to the eyes, and this is when you may see visible symptoms (cloudy eyes). However, you can confirm the presence of flukes at any time by performing a freshwater dip. At around the 3-4 minute mark, you will see tiny white worms fall out of a fish (especially out of the gills) if a fish has flukes. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well. A dark/black bucket is preferred for the freshwater dip, as that makes the white flukes easier to see.

Treatment options - Prazipro. Performing a freshwater dip will provide temporary relief, but two rounds of Prazipro (5-7 days apart) is usually required to eradicate flukes. Formalin may be used as an alternative treatment.

More detailed info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using 5 gallon buckets which are not full be ok for TTM with a "medium" sized Kole Tang? Or do i need to bust out some 10 gallon tanks? The buckets would just be so much easier.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using 5 gallon buckets which are not full be ok for TTM with a "medium" sized Kole Tang? Or do i need to bust out some 10 gallon tanks? The buckets would just be so much easier.

I'm looking at my Kole tang - who I would term "medium" and I wouldn't be comfortable putting him in 5 gallon buckets. I'd use the 10 gallon tanks personally.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up! I just picked up a second 10g tank and HOB filter so I can try this method. I plan on putting bio balls that have been curing in my dump in the filter for biofiltration. I'm assuming I should throw them out after each switch. Right?

Or should I just skip them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up! I just picked up a second 10g tank and HOB filter so I can try this method. I plan on putting bio balls that have been curing in my dump in the filter for biofiltration. I'm assuming I should throw them out after each switch. Right?

Or should I just skip them?

With TTM a filter isn't required. If you want to use them, then you would want to split them up so you can use a few each transfer. You would sterilize them with the rest of the equipment with each transfer. So essentially, they get sterilized and placed back in the sump as you use them. Does that make sense?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With TTM a filter isn't required. If you want to use them, then you would want to split them up so you can use a few each transfer. You would sterilize them with the rest of the equipment with each transfer. So essentially, they get sterilized and placed back in the sump as you use them. Does that make sense?
Yep. Do I need biofiltration with such frequent water changes anyhow? I could just toss the balls in during the final observation window I suppose.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Do I need biofiltration with such frequent water changes anyhow? I could just toss the balls in during the final observation window I suppose.

Not really. When I do TTM I use prime when I need it or do a water change if ammonia is detected. With 10 gallon tanks, it's easy to do a fast waterchange. Saving them for the final observation period sounds like a solid and smart plan.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with Meredith. So long as you keep your TTM bioload reasonable and a bottle of Prime handy, you shouldn't need filtration. But do provide plenty of O2.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, last question (Fish are coming tomorrow :)) I need two separate ammonia alert badges, right?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back