Staghorn Crab

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this cute lil fella for about 2 weeks now. I'm keeping him in my fuge, so his coral doesn't get stung by him bumping into other corals in my reef tanks. I'm a bit worried about the tips of the staghorn. They seem to be receding. What do I need to do to keep this coral on his back healthy? The only lighting on the fuge is a 65wt PC spiral bulb.

StaghornCrabClose.jpg

StaghornCrabjpg.jpg

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one they are so cool. Its shell is not a coral it is covered by hydroids and bryozoans. I need to get one again :D

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought his shell is made of a staghorn coral. Are you sure you're not thinking of a decorator crab? BTW, I got this guy at Coral Reef. Sometimes they do come up w/some really cool stuff there! They have another one in their display nano on the front desk. Good luck in taking Jim outta that one though!

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's where I read that I should keep him in my fuge. Guess I missed the part about the hydroids and bryozoans. Thought this was actually a coral on it's back. So he's just rubbing the tips of his house down a lil bit?

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a staghorn shell that i got at my LFS and one of blue legged hermits decided he liked it...been in there ever since. Though hes experiencing it hard to move around. lol :)

Steve

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would love to find out more about this crab. He has a special large claw that is flat on the back side. He can crawl completely inside his staghorn "house" (is this a coral or not?) & close the door with this perfectly fitted claw.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his house is a hydrocoral in the genus Janaria mirabilis should help your search for info its a type of fire coral i believe.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back