stand alone refugium lighting

michaelg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new tank setup (80 gallon shallow), I want to plumb in a dedicated refugium (3g 5 20x20x20) that I'd like to put a deep sand bed into and grow a variety of algaes. Any recommendations on a lighting setup? Will be running a pair of AI hydra's on the 80.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.5K-6.5K LED PAR38 flood lamp or one of those plant/grow red LED lights on Amazon in a shop light. Don't spend more than $50. Unless it's the Kessil, because Kessil is awesome!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are You going with a deep sand bed in the display as well? Reason I ask, It's my Op, that a dsb in a sump can become a nutrient trap and difficult to clean out. If there is a DSB in the display , that should be plenty. What do You think?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly think DSB are antiquated and pose more of a risk than any benefit. With all the different ways available today to handle Nitrate that perform much better than a DSB the cons far out weight the pros.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are You going with a deep sand bed in the display as well? Reason I ask, It's my Op, that a dsb in a sump can become a nutrient trap and difficult to clean out. If there is a DSB in the display , that should be plenty. What do You think?

I truly think DSB are antiquated and pose more of a risk than any benefit. With all the different ways available today to handle Nitrate that perform much better than a DSB the cons far out weight the pros.
id dis agree. in the sump actually might be better. Its easier to replace(remote dsb), and failure of a dsb takes a long time or incorrect use. DSB needs bugs and worms. water has to flow through it. see R Shimek.
and it just another technique to try really, so who's to say. On thing I do enjoy is its nutrient parameters are quite a bit more stable and don't fluctuate quite as much. they do use them in science labs for good reasons.

For light is easy, anything you can afford pretty much, Id go with a freshwater planted tank light. I like built in timers. onder $100 for a name brand. If you have more spend more. My lfs uses the Kessil 360 on their fresh planted tanks.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.5K-6.5K LED PAR38 flood lamp or one of those plant/grow red LED lights on Amazon in a shop light. Don't spend more than $50. Unless it's the Kessil, because Kessil is awesome!
+1, I bought mine on Amazon. Like @$28, UV and 660nm..

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the subject at hand, I need a ref light also. I'm going to look for a flood light bulbs suggested above.

OP
OP
M

michaelg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone try something from the horticulture world such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/MAXSISUN-Dim...rd_wg=ojAIJ&psc=1&refRID=SHZTFSA31X2JJCZG0G1R

This setup is actually a tank separate from the sump. I don't like the refuge in sump concept- too much stuff to get caught up in pumps. Even under my 60G cube I made a small 15 gallon acrylic tank that fit under the tank next to the sump and is fed with a powerhead and gravity drains back to sump.
I may try some rooted algaes in this, so thus the sand (and I do think there are certain fauna that prefer it/may need it).
No sand in the main 80 Gallon tank.

Back